Thread: Rod and reel for macks

Rod and reel for macks

I'm looking at a combo to throw some metals round at macks. I'm steering away from a TSS4 as i'd like to spend a bit more on a reel and also get one with infinate anti reverse. I'm thinking a shimano stradic 4000 or 6000 as it has a 5.7:1 ratio. For a rod i'm looking for a rod between 7'6" and 8'. Whats a good line class? I'm automatically looking at a livefibre but most don't have cork grips which I tend to rank highly in features on spin sticks. Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Jeremy

Re: Rod and reel for macks

the Stradic 6000 is rated to 16 lb . I have a Wilson Live fibre 8-10 kg which is 8ft. which i am beginning to like, I bought it for my 6500 BTR though i now use a daiwa Emblem Pro on it. 8 ft is really a bit long to maintain directional control on a big fish, but it really whips a small slug a mile.

I don't think there is a "best" combo. Everybody seems to have a different idea about rods reels line, so when you try to put those 3 together the possibilities are endless.

I agree with you about the cork though. I love cork grips.

FWIW

Tony

Hi Jeremy

As far as rods with cork grips go, the Daiwa 'coastal' rods are really nice - light graphite 7'6" and rated 10-20lb, but I haven't fished with one yet. The rod I use on spotty Macks and little tunas is a loomis SJ941. 7'10" and rated 10-17lb (ive fished 20lb braid without dramas). Its brilliant for firing small slugs a long way, is light and has cork grips. The Stradic 4000 I have on it balances really nicely. By my calculations it cranks 90cm per turn, which works fine. I have 12lb braid on one spool and 20lb on the other.
    If I was getting another reel I would look at the Daiwa capricorns, they're really smooth and have excellent drag systems. The 4500 size cranks 95cm per turn. The Emblem Pro is an awesome reel but a bit big for the rods I use, its probably better balanced with something like the live fibre that Tony uses.
    I should mention that my main criteria is for the rod to be light enough to use all day long, cast pretty small slugs (say 14g to 28g mostly) but still have the power to take on a longtail if need be. I haven't got a longtail on it yet, but Im sure I could do it with a bit of chasing.
    Like Tony, I guess everyone has a different opinion as to what makes the best spin outfit, but if you play with as many different rods and reels as you can get your hands on then youre sure to find a good combo to suit.

cheers
    Duncan

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm limited to the stuff we have at work and what we can order in coss that way i get staff discount. I'm going to stick with the stradic by the sound of it but i'm still stuck on a rod. I'm not to sure about getting i live fibre now. I might get the bits and pieces i want and put a rod together.

Have you looked at the Okuma Epix. Has what you want with an even higher retrieve rate. If you get the largest you have a big spool that retireves line at a great rate.

Jeremy,

I have a few different combos I use for tossing metal at Macks.
    TSS4 on a 6-8kg Livefibre (61/2 - 7 foot), spooled up with 8kg Mono.

4500 Baitrunner on a 7 foot, 4-6 kg Ugly Stick, spooled with 6kg Mono.

Tica Camry 4500 (6.3 - 1 ratio ) on a 4-6kg Strudwick (cork grips), 7 foot spin stick, spooled with 10lb Fireline. This outfit casts 20 & 30 gram Slugs a country mile

All 3 combos are very effective, with the tss4/Livefibre more suited to slugs of 40g or more.

Hope this helps,

Cheers
    Craigie.