Thread: Seekng advice on Jewfish rod blank for walls/beach

Seekng advice on Jewfish rod blank for walls/beach

I'm after any advice I can get regarding a suitable blank for a rod I'm going to build for catching jewfish from walls and beaches. I'll be using an Alvey 700C5 with 15-20 kilo line, so the rod needs to have some low-end grunt. The blank will need to be 12 foot or so to balance the weight of the reel. I'll be casting large heavy plastics off the walls, and whole squid off the beach, so it needs some tip action to be able to cast reasonably well. It sounds like a reasonably fast taper 9 wrap blank would do the job, but I'm interested in any suggestions, especially if they are based on experience with a similar outfit. Thanks, Daniel (iogikuma@optusnet.com.au)

Re: Seekng advice on Jewfish rod blank for walls/b

you are right on the money with dimentions boss. i had the same rod project in progress 10 years ago and despite all the fancy $ options i was given the wilson with fuji guides i made has taken big jew to 30 kilo groper (n.s.w ) to 10 kilo and land based kingfish to 32 kilo all on the same reel as you have. my advise ring wilson get fuji guides , good bindings and like my ( big bertha ) it will probley get handed down to the kids. happy days.

Gday Boss,

If you are after a 9 wrap 12 foot jewie rod, send me a pm. I have a one piece custom Gary Howard rod exactly those dimensions, fuji components etc, paid $200, sell $110 ono.

Has everything you described.

Kris.

How ya goin Boss
    About 15 yrs ago i bought a rod purpose built for jew off walls from Yamba marine centre.The blank is a butterworth fsu4120 length 13"11.Basicly it is 2 blanks one shoved up the r's end of the other.Dont know if the old guy that made it still owns the shop but may be worth a call.Even if he has retired may be able to get his number and find out some vital info.He use to make rods for the guys down there that were into some jewie fishing.
    all the best
    Dazza

Dazza,

the 4120 you quoted doesn't seem right to me. The '4' means 4 wrap, and the '120' means 120 inches = 10 foot. Sounds more like a whiting rod to me. ???

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by FOOCKCHUCKER
    you are right on the money with dimentions boss. i had the same rod project in progress 10 years ago and despite all the fancy $ #options i was given the wilson with fuji guides i made has taken big jew to 30 kilo groper (n.s.w ) to 10 kilo and land based kingfish to 32 kilo all on the same reel as you have. my advise ring wilson get fuji guides , good bindings and like my ( big bertha ) it will probley get handed down to the kids. happy days.
    Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good rod. Do you happen to know exactly which Wilson blank it was built on?

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    Dazza,

the 4120 you quoted doesn't seem right to me. The '4' means 4 wrap, and the '120' means 120 inches = 10 foot. Sounds more like a whiting rod to me. #???

Jeremy
    I seem to remember that long ago people used FSU8120 and FSU9120 blanks for LBG.

The bit about jamming one rod inside another reminds me that there were some rods (perhaps FSU's) which had butt extensions. I think the extensions were necessary because people cut off some of the tip to make the action heavier.

Daniel

Daniel,
    There are a couple of problems you may like to consider.
    1. For the beach you do not need line of 15-20kg to handle the biggest of Jewies, 20-25lb will suffice more than enough. The 700C5 is a nice reel but heavy, and you do not need to hold the large capacity of line. I agree you need some grunt in the rod to cast full squid but this also depends upon their size.
    2. Again throwing plastics with a 700C5 and large line, will be a big workout especially if you put in a lot of time.
    3. Remember very few surf/rock rods can handle line strengths over 30lb and if you get snagged, and you will, you can do damage to the rod.
    4. Rocks and rods spell chips,fractures ie damage.
    I would look at two rods one set for the rocks and one for the beach ie.
    Rock - MT 144 9W with the Alvey 700C5 30 lb line for bait/live.
    Beach - S1 162FT 7W with and Alvey 650A 25 lb line bait/and plastics off rocks.

Just my thoughts anyway. 8)
    Historian/Collector of Old Sidecast Fishing Reels

soory boss the blank is blank all i remember is telling the old mate from one of the last self run servo tackle shops on the mid north coast about the rod i neede and he rang wilson and the rod blank was of old stock with no id number. but the guy at wilson said it was the most popular rod withe break wall boyys and it is just flexy enough at the tip to send baits out of sight but believe me grunt from there down to pull in just about anything even the monsters behind jugs fish.

Daniel
    You were on the money with the butt extensions.My rod is 2 full blanks joined.Inside blank stops about 4 ft from the tip giving you the extra length.Jeremy was right in his explanation of the 4120 blank but with 2 blanks...8 wrap 13"11.After casting slugs for half hour or so your shoulders will soon be telling it aint no whiting rod
    Dazza

Quote Originally Posted by FOOCKCHUCKER
    soory boss the blank is blank all i remember is telling the old mate from one of the last self run servo tackle shops on the mid north coast about the rod i neede and he rang wilson and the rod blank was of old stock with no id number. but the guy at wilson said it was the most popular rod withe break wall boyys and it is just flexy enough at the tip to send baits out of sight but believe me grunt from there down to pull in just about anything even the monsters behind jugs fish.
    That rod sounds perfect. Does anybody know how to contact the guys at Wilson?

Daniel