Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100lb GT Fishing

Re: 100lb GT Fishing

I caught one recently off a wreck close to Green Island in Cairns. It was following a school of Tuna and judging by some of the pics in your links, it would have broken the ton. I will post the pics when they're developed and let you know. Big GT's can often be found up this way cruising the sandy lagoons inside and around the reef flats. These lagoons can be quite large and deep and poppers are a good option. Good luck in your quest. My capture was pretty run of the mill apart from the size, just caught him on a mackeral rig with a pilly, thought I had a big shark.

went on a charter with Barry (Cranky) Cross back in 91 and he just loves putting customers on GT's.

Us boys from Adelaide were most impressed....biggest we got was 25kg....me...22kg....boy do they pull...hate to think what a "big" one would do

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

The Jan 04 fish of the month is a 23kg GT caught at the mouth of the Rollingstone Creek on 8kg line. It was finally landed 10km north after a 2 hour chase. Last year one of the locals caught a 45kg GT off the beach at the creek entrance. Another 2 hour fight. The fish didn't survive and was donated to the Mystic Sands Golf Club for a mega-weekend BBQ.

They seem to like our patch of the ocean.

100lb GT ???

You will need to get stainless pins inserted in your shoulders to avoid stretched arms me thinks...

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

New member "JUMBO" sitting next to me (he's forgotton his password) caught this 42Kg GT off The Swaines (Gladstone) a couple of years ago.

Unbeleivable pics and talk of these monsters

Anyone wanna let us know the est poppers available.

I have had a good run on Halco Roosta's

What rod blanks, reels and line class would you advise.

This fish was caught on 20lb