Thread: Wello reef weirdness

Wello reef weirdness

Fished Green Island and Wello on Sunday AM. Was picking up small stuff all morning and just when I was about to pull the pin , the snapper came on the bite (isn't it always the way ).

Anyway, something really weird happened. I pulled up 3 snapper in total over a 15 minute period (and for those who know my fishing skills, no, that's not the weird thing )

So, I'm hauling up snapper #1, and when it gets boatside, I notice a small school of baitfish tailing the snapper, no big deal, seen this before.
    Back in with the SP, and couple of flicks later I'm hauling up snapper #2. When it gets boatside, I notice the baitfish again, but this time along with two dark brown shadows, looked about 50-75cm long (hard to tell with Mrs Ponies in the way doing the netting). Thinking they were sharks, I'm yelling at Mrs Ponies to get the snapper netted fast, which she did. The shadows swam away. Mrs Ponies says "they didn't look like sharks", but I thought, what else would chase a hooked snapper like that?
    Back in again and a third run. Got a better look this time (they were just under the surface) and they definately looked like some type of Cod, and bloody big as well. This time there were 3 of them !!!

Has anyone seen anything like this before - I can only think the fighting of the snapper and maybe the sound of the drag through the water (using braid) attracted them, but so many and right up to the surface like that ??

PS - Next trip to wello will be targeting cod, just in case anyone was wondering

Re: Wello reef weirdness

Snapper? at wello you got any pics? not that we dont trust ya alan

as for the cod, important to all the reef systems, depressing enough when one is hooked by accident let alone targetting them ???

yeah if the cod are big let them stay there ...they would be pretty old if they are big

andy

Mmmmm, deep sea racing mullet........?

Well Rob, since you asked...

Biggest went to 42cm

Fish do that, #They often follow there buddies round when they're caught (i think that they think that the fish on the line has seen a food source and follow them to see what the fuss is about, that or peer pressure). #I've had bream flathead and catfish follow each other up to the boat in groups of mixed species.

Big toadfish always do it to me. But the suckers are too slow. I actualy outswam one while spearfishing one day. Are you sure they wer not big toads. They are cod shaped i suppose.

Their is a toadfish about the size of a 50cm estuary cod swiming down the pin somewhere with its square head smashed in on one side. They are pretty aggressive and sometimes you have to look hard when they come up, that is before they surface, to tell what they are!!

Regards

Chris

Well, I went back and found out what they were.....

Don't panic everyone, she went back in after the photo.

An Estuary Cod! Geez I thought the way you were talkin that it was gonna be a biggie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mackmauler
    Snapper? at wello you got any pics? not that we dont trust ya alan

as for the cod, important to all the reef systems, depressing enough when one is hooked by accident let alone targetting them ???
    Hey Mackmauler, please explain???