Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spearfishing a clubbie on the gold coast

spearfishin

Spearfishing a clubbie on the gold coast

Just wondering if anybody can help with some info?
    Tried to go spearfishing today at kirra reef and were going in off the beach when the local clubbies informed us that 1. We weren't allowed to go in off the beach cos the whole beach is a bathing reserve from the groyne at kirra to the groyne at Tallebudgera ( there is a newly installed sign at the club that just has spearfishing with the red circle thru it saying not allowed )and 2. the kirra reef is off limits to fishing as it is within the 400 metres of the bathing reserve.
    After this incident almost resulting in bloodshed i would love to find where to turn for information, where i can verify one 30cm square sign means the whole ocean.

Re: Spearfishing a clubbie

mate i know a few down this way i will gladly let you spear after today

they had their surf boat out in the river and being abslout a$$es they pulled their boat up on the ramp then proceded to park their car and trailer not on the ramp but across the ramp they then lefted the bot onto the triler and proceded to wash it down while blocking the way not alowing me to retirve my boat meanwhile the misses and kid was left holding the boat in the rain
    they then proceded to have their meeting and a beer while still blocking the way then when i asked if they could move up and out of the way i was told to "not to have a cow and to relaxe" and then after telling them i hope they move soon as i wanted to get my boat i was told to bugger off
    beeing 8 of them and only one of me i didn't want to push it any ferther but needless to say when they next ask me for money i will be telling them to bugger off! [smiley=angryfire.gif]
    shame really and i hope the surf club will do something after i tell them even though i dout it

Re: Spearfishing a clubbie on the gold coast

I am sure it is 50 m from a bathing reserve give us a tick and i will check it out for sure i got pulled up at kings beach caloundra for the same reason

Greg

Nothing worth spearing at kirra anyway.

Try Palmy, heaps of big Tiger sharks there to keep you entertained.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

spearfishin

Thought Palmy might be a bit far to swim

Nah, with flippers you'd do it easy.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Heath, I reckon he would do it easy without flippers, after seeing that first tiger closeup

I have swum to the reef at Kirra off the beach, it is not restricted just dont load your gun. Fair swim just made it back actually not alot there I found but this was about 6 years ago. Noosa has some better of the bank spots

Taken from Fishweb

Spear fishing areas

Spear guns and spears must not be used to take fish while using or wearing underwater breathing apparatus other than a snorkel.

Spear fishing is prohibited in all fresh waters.

Spear fishing is prohibited in the following tidal areas (for precise boundaries consult the Fisheries Regulation 1995 (copies of legislation are available on the Office of the Queensland Parliamentary Counsel website) some areas are marked by a SFB sign):

Tallebudgera Creek upstream of a straight line between the eastern extremity of Burleigh Heads and the seaward end of the rock groyne near its southern bank of the creek end.

Southern Moreton Bay: Jumpinpin and the Southport Broadwater including the seaway Moreton Bay south of 27o42’ south (Logan River).

Artificial reef area Moreton Island near Cowan Cowan.

Pumicestone Strait between a line from Elimbah Creek to Gallagher Point, Bribie Island and a line from Ninghi Creek to Dux Creek, Bribie Island.

Pumicestone Strait north of a line from Bell’s Creek to the northern tip of the most northern most island of a group of islands east of Bells Creek to the western side of Bribie Island.

Mooloolah River downstream of the Nicklin Way Bridge and Brisbane Road.

Maroochy River and waterways joining it downstream of and including The Cod Hole.

Noosa River within 100m of all public jetties in and south of the river.

Lake Weyba Noosa River and waterway adjoining the lake and river downstream of Parkyn’s Jetty at Tewantin and the western tip of Goat Island.

Woodgate: vicinity of the artificial reef, Hervey Bay.

Woody Island: vicinity of the artificial reef at the northern end of Sandy Strait.

Bargara Beach, Bundaberg: “The Basin”.

Great Keppel Island: the north western, western and southern sides.

North Keppel Island: the western and southern sides.

Brampton and Carlisle Islands: waters between the islands.

Seaforth Island.

Lindeman Island: the western and southern sides.

Long Island: the western side.

South Molle Island: the northern side.

West Molle Island (Daydream Island): surrounding waters.

Hook Island: the eastern, south eastern and southern sides.

Hayman Island: the southern and western sides.

Port Dennison: waters under, or within 100m of:

the main wharf at Port Dennison, Bowen; and
    a structure attached to the wharf.
    Cape Edgecumbe: the foreshores and waters seaward 50m from low water mark from the boat ramp in Grey’s Bay around Cape Edgecumbe to the eastern headland of Horseshoe Bay.

Dungeness and Lucinda Point within 100m of the public jetties.

Bedarra Island: the north western and northern sides.

Dunk Island: the north western and western sides.

Cooktown within 100m of the main wharf and pontoons.

I think you will find Kirra is classed as open water...so you can spear there.

I too have speared on kirra reef but not in the last 15 yrs ???

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Re: Spearfishing a clubbie

Quote Originally Posted by basserman
    mate i know a few down this way i will gladly let you spear after today

they had their surf boat out in the river and being abslout a$$es they pulled their boat up on the ramp then proceded to park their car and trailer not on the ramp but across the ramp they then lefted the bot onto the triler and proceded to wash it down while blocking the way not alowing me to retirve my boat meanwhile the misses and kid was left holding the boat in the rain
    they then proceded to have their meeting and a beer while still blocking the way then when i asked if they could move up and out of the way i was told to "not to have a cow and to relaxe" and then after telling them i hope they move soon as i wanted to get my boat i was told to bugger off
    beeing 8 of them and only one of me i didn't want to push it any ferther but needless to say when they next ask me for money i will be telling them to bugger off! [smiley=angryfire.gif]
    shame really and i hope the surf club will do something after i tell them even though i dout it

Basserman,

You've never got a shoulder mounted rocket launcher when you truly need one...

Nath...

NQCairns

I too had one try and stop us from entering the water beside the groin to spear the reef, many years ago - didn't work, ahh... those were the days, you could do no harm and still do it! possibly that clubbie found some rubber stamped authority later in life
    What about entering on the other side?

Barrymundi

What authority do they act for and under what legislation ?

Thank them for the information and go ahead and spear, they have no authority.

Unfortunatly some volunteers thinks they are Fishing Inspectors, Water Police etc....

I have also had a similar thing at a boat ramp. They moved when I started to reverse at there boat. Just pretend to be a silly old fart, they will move, trailers can do a lot of damage to boats when reversed correctly

Yeh i just love em they were up me at the northen end of kings beach going around to the rocks to start spearing only to aproached by a wally on a jet ski all of 16 year old to be told i cant spear there well i had news for him an it was all bad on his behalf i seen red knowing i was within my rights to spear there i told him if he came back near me on the jet ski i would have no hesisation in spearing the jet ski Funny no more problems after that

Greg