Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Starting own reef

Re: Starting own reef

shouldn't that be hypothetically four 25 litre drums?????????

concrete is heaver than water 1.8ton to the m3 if i remeber right ???
    anyway 3 25 liter drums works out to be close to 100kgs

NQCairns

Nahh!! my point was Basserman cover your ass with that word! Spelt correctly not like my lazy spelling

Great idea!... but you'll never get permission.

From who marlin dude

Gorilla_in_Manila

Relative density of concrete is 2.4 or 2400 kg per m3.
    So 25L of it would weigh 0.025 x 2400 = 60kg
    When submerged you have to use the bouyant weight which is 2.4 - 1 = 1.4
    So the effective holding weight of a submerged 25L can of concrete is
    0.025 x 1400kg = 35kg
    For anyone interested.
    Cheers
    Jeff

i knew someone better than me would be able to explain it
    all i knew was it is a damn lot heavery than the same of water

Quote Originally Posted by marlindude
    Great idea!... but you'll never get permission.
    I give you all permission to go out and do it, just make sure no one is around when you start dumping everything overboard. Reading that link back in an earlier post though I got the impression that there is nothing to stop you,..... Yet.

I think this post has got everyone thinking about locations, and where to get a hold of bread creates.

Seeems like a lot of trouble to go to, there are heaps of reefs around and it doesnt take long to pull a feed anyway

The artificial reef concept could well be a very important way for reco fishermen to get aroung the red zone yellow zone etc bullsh!t.

Let them govern with an iron fist. Let them lock up all the fish holding areas. Then go out and make your own reefs for the fish to migrate to. See where they end up then.

smiggspig, follow Bassermans good advice. I have seen FADS from 5m to 25m deep anchored with besser blocks which will sink into the mud sand and become immovable in no time at all. It also pays to drive 2 or more lengths of rio bar thru the drums sticking out @ least 300mm before U put in the concrete. The trawlers hate that! haha
    Some years ago I applied in writing to QFMA to construct a FAD and was knocked back. I then wrote and asked for a valid reason for their decision and got a reply stating that" the FAD does not create any more fish in the location, just concentrates fish from all over the area into the one place (FAD), making it easier for them to be caught". Well after all, thats why I wanted to put one in, in the first place! So I went ahead and did it anyway. We had an unofficial fishing club in those days (ar la mob of blokes and sheilas who came together for a drink and a fish and a bloody good time), and each time we went out to the SPOT we took anything that would sink and put it/them onto the pile after finding the FAD on the sounder. The Northern Fisheries Research Unit benefited from this FAD as we donated live fingermark, jacks and barra caught off this FAD to them for their research programs. See we weren't all bad....baldy

tshort

I've got a mate who's always sworn by sinking your empty stubbies, every thing needs a place to live. He called them artificial reefs or habitats. Once he'd had such a good day, as the tide went out his boat got stuck on the artificial reef.

i take it your mate has never been putting his boat in and stepped on a broken stubby bottle.
    it is a good way to ruin a fishing trip.

stubbies and the like can also trap crabs and small creatures who grow inside then cannot get out and are a danger in shallow water I had a toe nearly cut off by stepping onto a submerged and broken stubby, shit it hurt!

On a few cane farms round here are piles of clay irrigation pipes I wonder if the farmers want them? #anyone know any cane farmers?

FAD's attract fish because they hold food, more shelter more food, more food more fish. #

Saying they have no effect on fish stocks is like saying an oasis has no effect on life in a desert!