Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorncliff jetty( undersized fish taking)

Shorncliff jetty( undersized fish taking)

was at the jetty today and a family(ies) of Asians were tkaing undersized fish by the dozen including baby catfish,small tailor and small queenfish. SOMETHING SHOULD BE DONE!!!!!! these people are comming left right and centre into Australia and totally destroying the fisheries. if the fisheries inspectors were down there today they would have caught at least 20 people!!!!!

Scott

Re: Shorncliff jetty( undersized fish taking)

need fisheries to comment on this, i know what id like to see done

well how many times have we seen this, so yes they need to put signs up in a language they understand and make the charges higher etc but most of all i would love to actually see a fishery on the jetty's more often we all might remember the sand pumping jetty thing last year lets see if fisheries actually back it up this year ???
    now in no way am i saying they are useless just need to be freed from red tape and let them do there job or put more on

imo

well said jeff.

Think this thread has been posted numerous times before.

The thing is
    1. The taking of any fish by our Asian cousins is a right of passage in their Country of Origin, and it will take a generation to convert them
    \
    2. Is this a major reason for concern ? Considering what a single Moreton Bay Trawller will destroy in one nights raping of the seabed ! ?

3. If you are really that concerned, I will post you DPI information, to pass onto these people, when you visit the Jetty next. No good having a go here. They are not here.

4. So long as you are doing the right, you will have peace of mind.

The next question, is, " is it up to us all, as individuals ' to say something to the " uneducated ?

I know the answer, do you,

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Is this a major reason for concern ? Yes it is, as is any breach of the regulations. Every event is just another nail in the coffin of the fishery, regardless of it's comparitive size.

If you see illegal activity, report it regardless of of what race they are or whether they are pros or amateurs.

I will say again "You've never got a shoulder mounted rocket launcher when you truly need one"

Jokes aside, I recently spent a few weeks travelling around China and I was amazed at the amount of damage that country must be doing to the worlds population of sea and land creatures alike, i mean, you can eat anything that still has or used to have a heart beat! We did not see any birds (the feathered type) in any of the major centres - you know why? 'Cause they got em all!

We need to educate > these people when they come into the country about things such as fisheries laws, Drug Trafficking, Gang Warfare, Holden Barinas with mufflers the size of a politicians super funds, and other important things.

It's a shame that we have to categorise them into a race, but hey, it's the truth...

Something needs to be done.......... [smiley=behead.gif] [smiley=rifle.gif]

The biggest problem here is that all rec fishos get put in the same basket. With this type of thing happening out in the open and so frequently, it paints us all in a pretty bad light. No wonder why some lobby groups want us all out of the water.
    My advise is to report them, if that doesn't work, video camera them and take it into the fisheries. As Phill said, seems a lot of this is going on. I think it's time we made an effort ourselves to stop this ridiculous behaviour.
    Cheers, Mark.

redspeckle

The taking of under size fish makes me [smiley=furious2.gif] they never become big fish
    I brought up on recent post on Pipi's & Mollusc shells at Wellington Point getting taken by the shopping bag's full, they are only allowed to take 50 shells ( by the way these are living creatures in shells).
    Then on monday going for my usual afternoon run at Thorneside at Beth Boyd Park foreshore they took shooping bag's full of the mollusc shells
    I rang the fish watch hot line again on 1800017116 somebody else rang up as well on the same incident & gave them a rego number they said look into
    so now i see any person taking mollusc shells & and illegal fishing actives i ranging the fish watch hot line .
    We have to keep doing this & and start telling the dpi, media, fishing party, sun fish,local member and other fishing organization's about it theses illegal fishing activites going on if we don't their be no fish for our childerns future's ( it might sound extreme going happen we do nothing about it now)
    These poeple must like eating lots of seafood bites& bones
    thats all you get out off taking under sze fish & mollusc shells

Mitch Go the might [smiley=cowboy.gif]in 2005
    ps i might have go over the top in this post but this kind of thing makes me [smiley=angryfire.gif]& want to [smiley=rifle.gif]

so what did YOU do Scott? Did you do anything yourself other than complain about it on ausfish? The Fishwatch hotline to report any illegal fishing activity is 1800 017 116.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Jeremy, i did nothing myself but an old bloke there was telling them and after he did that they still didnt listen to him. I was unaware that there was a fishwatch hotline and if i see em doing it again they'll be gettin a call.

Scott

There is only so much you can do,, Just be careful as some people know what there doing wrong and might fight back. These days you dont know what people can do

I have also had many conversations with people of asian decent about keeping undersized fish. They normally ignore you totally or pretend not to understand.

A bit like ringing the fishwatch hotline. I actually hung round one day to see if they would turn up. Three hours later still no show, by then I had enough of kicking the footy around with the boy.
    So if they, being the Fishwatch depart, want to play the heavy hand with fish sizes and restrictions, May be that they need to address there response times to phone calls.Then and only then will people start to get prosecuted.
    You' ll only need a few to get stung, before they all stop doing it.

Ray

The best thing to do is to get onto the DPI real quick. I don't care whether these clowns are purple with pink polka dots; the thing is that they are destroying everything. I too have seen them is action at Wello Point in the past, picking up everything that moves.

If the DPI are a bit slow off the mark, then it might pay to write to the papers in the "Letters to the Editor" column.

Might stir things up a bit.

Last year we were fishing the breakwall at Iluka and this bloke was keeping every bream he caught. Trouble is, by the look of it, most of them needed to grow about 5 cm's at one end or both ends.

Reported him to the NSW Fisheries at Maclean. They responded, but are short on the ground for staff to cover their patch.

Old Legend.

Fair go!! What do you expect a 15 year old to do??

Front up to someone that most likely already knows they are doing something illegal?? Yeh right.

My understanding of all the recommendations for people put in a potentially dangerous situation is to just try to be amiable and walk away.

Scott, do not challenge these people. You could place yourself at risk. They know they are breaking the law.

Yes do as Jeremy has said and report it. But do not challenge, or even think that you should challenge. If I recall correctly, Maria even had a knife pulled on him once for doing the same.

I don't think Jeremy meant that you should have challenged them, but was left open for interpretation.

Stay safe,

Cheech