Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shorncliff jetty( undersized fish taking)

Re: Shorncliff jetty( undersized fish taking)

Good call Cheech, Although it would be handy if the 15 year old was a 2nd Dan Blackbelt

Nath...

wacco_fozzy

Why not get on to programs like Brisbane Extra? I know they need to fill somethong like 5 stories a day so they're always desparate for material, and having a bit of TV publicity might get some of the beaurocrats more focused.

You might remember that last year there was a story on undersized fish being sold around the place, I believe that after Extra visited a few places and started filming, the practice stopped pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by wacco_fozzy
    Why not get on to programs like Brisbane Extra? I know they need to fill somethong like 5 stories a day so they're always desparate for material, and having a bit of TV publicity might get some of the beaurocrats more focused.

You might remember that last year there was a story on undersized fish being sold around the place, I believe that after Extra visited a few places and started filming, the practice stopped pretty quick.
    I hit up A Current Affair last year about certain activities. Met up with them, even filmed discreetly with their cameraman the activities going on. Never heard another word about it after that. Story never went to air.

Ben

These stories will never be aired because it will seem like "you know"

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech
    I don't think Jeremy meant that you should have challenged them, but was left open for interpretation.
    correct!
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Benny

Interesting feed back ppl ??? ???

Hard call isnt it!. Like Lucky Phill says, how many juvenile fish do trawlers wipe out every day. First hand experience has seen such devastation!. Schools of small tailor and jew, dead on arrival on the sorting tray. >

By no means do I agree with such acts, but, I would prefer them to be taking large numbers of small fish over large (even though given the chance they'd probably do both) as they offer little in regards to high contributions to broodstock.

As for putting up signs in asian languages, I think its a case of them pretending to be ignorant. Haven't we all seen it before to differing degree's.

As for reporting to fisheries, unfortunately our Bushy Eyebrowed x#*xhead leader doesnt employ enough ppl to police our fisheries adequately, ever wondered how many fisheries officers service the Qld coastline??. Interested to hear any thoughts.........

Overall, thank goodness the majority of rec fisho's today are responsible (at least I hope they are), and maybe if we keep going forward with max size limits we may return fisheries to what they once were.

Cheers

Benny

Captian_Zero

Scott

Just out of interest I looked up the DPI website and there is currently no bag or size limit for queenfish on the East Coast, only in the Gulf. I am not trying to weaken what you have said because the taking of undersized regulated fish like tailor is still an issue and something that should be reported. All rec fishos need to know what they can & can't take and how many.

Regards

Chris

P.S. This is the link to the DPI fishweb site: http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/11416.html#limits

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Steven78
    These stories will never be aired because it will seem like "you know"
    Exactly! It's not that it's not newsworthy but some grey suit somewhere is simply shit scared of calling a spade a spade (no pun intended) :-)

If it had've been "true blues" taking undersized, then it would have had a good chance of airing, but because there's "colour" involved, someone is plain scared of being called racist, or being otherwise being "politically incorrect".

I know there is probably an element of undersize taking in all groups, but the simple fact is, that the Asians are the "main" culprits, not only in this, but also, (in my experience), of littering (leaving discarded line, bait etc). I fished Shorncliffe jetty for 7 yrs before I got the boat, and there wasn't a single day when I wasn't appalled at these behaviours. Yes, there was also an element of bad behaviour amongst the white juveniles that fished there, but IMO that paled into insignificance compared to what seems to be "a way of life" to the Asian folk.

I rang Fisheries on 4 occasions and no show. They seem to put in a regular appearance at Woody Point, but never Shorncliffe. I suppose that they're as frightened of being seen to "target" Asians as the TV producers are.

Please don't get me wrong, I have also seen a lot of appropriate behaviour from some Asians, but as has often been said, when they come from a culture where everything is fair game, I suppose it will take at least a generation to change things via education..........that is unless the education comes speedily and effectively via more policing, heavier consequences, better targetting etc. As sure as there are catfish in the Brizzy river, I bet it wouldn't take a generation to change things then.

cheers

kev.......who is in no way racist, but speaks as he finds.

A call to scumbag beatties office with a complaint of someone lighting a smoke on that jetty will see an immediate response with at least 1 of the new 80 smoke police coming @ a fast pace.
    That might frighten them thinking that the smoke fuzz are fisheries maybe?

wait till they catch up to Newcastles ASIAN antics they take manual mincers to the walls and jettys and mince > all the under size fish hard to prove fish is under size seen this with own eyes 8) give them heaps but the old saying speak no english spoke to some of the other guys fishing on jetty and they said it happens all the time how do you win when all the fish in places were they come from are all small or for that matter gone or wiped out, and they don't know any better small fish are sweet i think we have to educate by say TV most people have one and put some of our licence money into educating what is right and what is wrong with taking small fish and killing our future stocks
    VERY CONCERNED Squidgie Palmer

throw the fish back in like i did as it proves a point we are all aware of and it also can end up in some extra bag work for footy training and it is pretty much bag work as they come at you real hard but the first unload sorts em out quick smart. but of course let it be sorted out by the law enforcing fishing inspecters who are that present around land base asian eaterys that in almost 30 years of fishing beaches; rocks and creeks i have still never witnesed this rear specie. the love the look of my boat though and have rummaged right through the rig to as always like all decent folk find soggy pillies with the plastic still on them and not in the water or well over legal fish as if there is any doubt they should go back till next season or for someone else to capture apon maturity. oh well marshal law may be back in if they don"t get the mesage soon glad im part of our forwards.

not only do they rape the saltwater, but it was the bloody asians who introduced tilapia into oz and its them who keep relocating them into more and more dams and rivers!!!!

i for one dont care where they are from or how things work where they come from, if people come here than they better bloody live like the rest of us otherwise why dont they just bugger off back to where they came from,its a matter of respect, if i went to Japan id take my shoes off before goin into someones house, so they should let our baby fish go, Australia isnt a third world country, there's no need for it, its like theyre on Survivor or something, and them not knowing about the laws is bullshit, they know just as well as the rest of us, i have never seen a fisheries officer in my life and wouldnt even bother calling them, waste of time, i was at Sandgate jetty the other night and saw kinda the same thing, baby catties and little fish on the jetty, then a bit later on when we were leaving it looked as though they'd called in re- enforcements, with a few mini-vans arriving, one day concerned fisho's will start taking things into their own hands because the fisheries sure as hell arent doing much at all from what ive heard, about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike(not the actual officers but the department as a whole, of course a few people cant police the whole state). Maybe they need to hire more people so they can go to more locations and get stuck into these bastards, and screw all that political correctness, racism bullshit, those bastards are just as racist if not more than the rest of us, for f*#ks sake, its like the countries lost its balls or something...

well said NeMo84

Hi All,

This issue in particular has prompted this new member to make his very first post. My two bobs worth are:

NeMo84 hit the nail on the head. In my 37 years of fishing I have never seen a fisheries officer on patrol or had one look at my catch or the catch of others around me; or actually heard of friends who also fish, being inspected. Where are they ? What's the point of bag limits and regulated fishing ? The vast majority of recreational fishos out there are responsible and don't exceed limits on regulated species or unduly take unregulated species.

But as this particular post has highlighted we need some sort of action against the groups of people who systematically rape the marine resources we love and respect and hope to maintain for our children. The current system obviously isn't a deterrent. Like NeMo84, I too have been to Sandgate Jetty and witnessed absolute disgraceful behaviour. eg wall to wall cast netters keeping every living thing that comes out of the water - mostly undersize fish (bream, whiting, flathead and bait fish). [Ironically I saw the most massive Bream I have ever seen (>45cm), hauled in by a bait net]. The people mix was about 90% asian and 10% Caucasan - which says something in itself - but all with the same disregard for legal limits and a greedy attitude wrt non regulated species to boot.

Has anyone ever been to the rocky foreshores of the Sydney Northern Beaches (eg Harbord and Manly) ? I was there for work about a year ago. There are signs up, in several languages including the Asian ones, warning against the taking of shellfish etc from the foreshore. A little bit too late I reckon! I was lucky to spot a barnacle on several acres of exposed rocks at low tide, let alone a limpet or crab ? Do we want the same here in Qld? No ? Lets start a campaign of writing to the government dept's responsible and get some action here.