Thread: amity point jetty

amity point jetty

I'm going to amity point for the long weekend and was just wondering if any on has had any luck with the live bait. ???

And what species you got e.g. snapper, squire, Jew, sharks, big bream ect. ???

Any info would be much appreciated [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

michael

Re: amity point jetty

G'Day Michael,

Mate don't waste ur time on the Jetty during the day, with kids jumping off all day as they do, I've never seen anyone do any good.

Try the rocks and even the rock groins in front of the camp ground. Don't cast out too far, the biggins are closer than u think. We've got some monster bream from there in the past on small livies. Just a bit of movement in the water is all you need

Doesn't have to be night either #

Cheers,
    Tony # 8)
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

what lives were you using hardy heads, herring ???

Just little Hardy Heads Mick, God Bless Castnets #
    Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem Bright ...... untill they speak

Best spot in Amity is the second rock groin south of the jetty. The best bream are caught on the north side and by fishing off the beach right next to the rocks on the run in tide. Cast out along side the rocks to about the end of the rocks.

At the tip of the rocks it drops off steeply. I've snorkeled around there plenty of times and in the depths I've seen some decent size fish. Fishing off the end of the rocks themselves will get you into a better position for these fish. Beware the snags, you'll need plenty of tackle. You'll also have a high bycatch of under sized moses perch.

I would definitely recommend a snorkel around those rocks because on a good day it is teeming with life. Heaps of colourful aquarium fish, coral, clouds of baitfish, octopus, wobbygongs, turtles, dolphins, etc.

Heya Chemmy

Just got back fom straddie, there are plent of big hardiheads around the jetty 1 cast should give you more than enough for several sessions. Few striped/ yellowtail pike and scad as well.

Locals have been chasing and catching the odd speedster off the jetty during the day on metals but they are few and far between.

Fish wise it has been pretty quiet over there, just some average dart, and very small tailor 27-31 that really need to be measured if you intend keeping any, although I didn't see anyone throwing any back that they caught >

have you fished of point lookout and if so has anyone done any good lately

hey chemmy a few months ago i went over for the day and spent the day fishing off amity jetty, believe it or not i actually caught a spotted mackerel casting off the end of the jetty with a pilchard on 3 ganged hooks, also got another hook up which ran about 20 metres then the line snapped, i was using 8kg platypus pre-test as main line and trace, also had a ot of plastics get chewed by pike, they bit the tails off, but also managed to hook plenty of them, good luck mate and let us know how you go...take it easy

If you are meaning off the rocks at the point I would be careful, a reasonable swell started pushing through this morning and might make things a bit hairy for several days.

If you are refering to main beach not a lot there and tough fishing with the constant southeaster which should fire up again with this new high and a fair size swell. I got one XOS dart and the rest were throwbacks from my one serious run up there.

If you are going to fish the surf amity to flinders might be your best bet with the likely conditions, the gutter straight out in front of the flinders exit was looking very nice this morning at half tide and might be worth a try as the area is holding a lot of small bait (anchovies) or around campsite 7 there are a few little knee deep spits that have schools of small tailor sitting in the deeper water. Only problem is only about 1 in 5 will make legal size. if you are looking to keep a few for a feed.

thank for the advice how about harrys or peel any good there