Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caloundra Area

a

Caloundra Area

Fellow fisho's
    A new member to Ausfish and a New member to the Caloundra/Sunshine Coast. I have recently migrated here and recently purchased a 13ftr. I have tried the nrthn end (Golden Beach) of the passage a couple of times and am looking for some hints/tips and fellow fisho's looking for any excuse to get out amongst it.
    I have spent the last few years offshore but now getting back into the river/eastury species and am quite rusty.

Boat is capable to go outside but only just on a very good day.
    Any help will be well appreciated . Cheers

westie

Re: Caloundra Area

armo..... have to catch up, more that happy to give you a run down on the area

Westie

If you cannot get a good feed of bream in the passage during winter (night) then give up...always lots there.

armoz
    welcome to the site
    get your self a copy of beacon to beacon and try heading down around the Ws or the skids some great flatty spots down there.
    up the northern end there is a spot called the blue hole plenty of people fish there but it does get a lot of traffic.

Daniel
    PS next weekend there is a fishing comp down at the power boat club you might learn somthing down there, I'll be down there in a ausfish hat if you see me say g'day

well done guys helping out a fellow fisher!

Go to the yabbie banks opposite the bells creek boat ramp and get some. Then sit just outside the mouth of the creek beside the sand bank/beacon and enjoy

a

Thanks guys,
    Look forward to seeing you out there, getting amongst it.

Scottie - Dad took my boat out for a fish with two visiting mates from Tassie. Got stuck in and took home 22 bream and a flattie for 4 hours yakka.

Largest bream was 38cm and the smallest they kept was 27cm. They went out at midday, and were back at the ramp by 4pm. They had to stop only because they did not want to be cleaning fish all through the night (and also because they were sustainable fishermen!).

Dad said he was over near that sport I was telling you about

You should take tomorrow arvo off if it is not raining and have a go from 1pm.

Plenty of spots from the Bar right down through the passage.
    Roys is always good, as is the skids and the W's.
    Lots of banks if you like flicking for flatties

tshort

After youve tried Bungies, tie on a lure and troll along the banks and weed beds heading south from the creek mouth. Fat flatties in skinny water along with the odd trev.

Pump yourself some yabbies and fish them right up on top of the banks that you pumped them from on the high tide. 40cm+ whiting not uncommon around golden beach. Any more than about 2ft of water is generally too deep. Another option is to pull the boat up at bribie and walk to the surf side, you often have the beach to yourself as the 4wd boys have to stop a couple of Klm's further south.

Right now is the time to be bream hunting up at Caloundra. I guy i know who lives at Golden Beach said he counted a record of 143 boats one night fishing for 'em one year! More recently its been in the 30's and 40's. Catching them in the daytime at 38cm's is impressive though. Where do people here think the "Blue Hole" is....i've heard many variations! I thought it was over near the Bribie Is side, behind the red marker. You might want to also try around the boarwalk, but at the turn of the tide. The water really rips through there when the tide is running. Anything from queenies, trevors, tailor, jacks and lizards and bream around that area.

good luck!
    Hutcho

Quote Originally Posted by Hutcho
    Where do people here think the "Blue Hole" is....i've heard many variations! I thought it was over near the Bribie Is side, behind the red marker. #
    [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

look in beacon to beacon

Pinhead will remember the old fishing club days in the 60's when the gun fishos would pull 100+ fish out of there every couple Saturday nights. Glad so many people have learned better these days.

a

Learned better? Did we have a choice? I'd be happy with a regular half a dozen on call!!
    Thanks for all the info guys, is anyone entering into the Memorial Comp this weekend down at the park next to the Pwr Boat Club?