Thread: Snapper: Floating or bottom?????

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

Snapper: Floating or bottom?????

I have never caught a snapper. There, I've admitted it, but I always thought they were bottom dwellers and hence the need sometimes for big lead to get the bait down. Lately I have been reading about floating baits etc. What's the go please folks? ??? Are these fish taken on the TOP and the bottom??

Thanks for any advice, one day I hope it will be my turn!!

Dave

Re: Snapper: Floating or bottom?????

well your a bit north of the snapper areas, i thought snapper kinda finished at gladdy?
    but for any demercial fish a naturally desending presentation is the way to go,too many anglers are fishing for the largest sized of their target species, instead of tuning in on the mean sized fishes.
    damon

up and down and all around, clear as mud.

floating snapper are easyer to see
    nah you will get them both ways however for floating baits down a berly trail seems to see better fish
    what your doing isn't fishing the surface but sending a lightly weighted bait down to the bottom in a berly trail so really fishing the bottom still just in a diffrent manor
    as rob said clear as mud now hey

Dammon 33
    We do get snapper in the Winter around CQ if you could only see fridays rocky Bulletin.

goanna

NeilD

Floaters are really slow sinkers. You would be suprised how fast a ganged pilly with a pea sinker gets snagged in 60m of water. I would use floaters during the day and fish bottom at night.
    Neil

Fished today in 40M of water and the two paternoster rigs only caught reefies while the two floating pillies kept scoring Squire.
    I use a light peasized lumo sinker and a pilchard and send it out the burley trail and the only thing that would touch it today was squire well before it hit the bottom. My report last week had a pickie of the rig.

snapper love slimies
    Better alive if you can get them.
    I wish i was like you, trying to get my first. I can still remeber it 8)
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]