Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Return from Rainbow Comp!.. with big tailor!

Return from Rainbow Comp!.. with big tailor!

well im back from the Rainbow Beach fishing classic, Man what a perfect week! fishing was fantastic, but big fish were hard to find.

on fri/sat snot weed was thick along double island beaches and made the bottom end beach near tewah the only fishable areas. by tue the weed was gone and we headed up to the northen end to target our big bream and whiting..no luck, we caught about 60 bream between my partner and i the biggest goin about 900 grams whole. whiting for us was only around 470 whole so no winners there.

we moved loactions to our next drain we new was holding fish. we fished it weds night and by then the bank at the back was looking awesome, with a suck out at etheir end it was about 80m in length and looked the goods. cruised up to it in the landrover i found on the waters edge a bream about 1.4Kg kicking around missing its tail HMMM... [smiley=idea.gif] Tailor time... buy this time the adrenalin was already going and in seconds the tailor rods were off the landy and into the water. i targeted the corner of the suck out at each end of the drain, 10mins later 1St tailors on the beach weighed 2.6 Kg . 1hour passed, next tailor is draged up... 3.1Kg at almost hourly intervals the tailor kept coming in eneding up with a tot of 9 tailor biggest went 3.575 and the smallest 2.635 whole. during this time angela and i had caught nearly 20 bream, 12 whiting, 23 dart and one little shark. biggest whiting for the night went 440g whole, bigest bream went 780g whole, heaviest dart went 534g whole. went to bed at about 2.30 am to wake at 3.30 am and head back down to the drain for a fish on the daybreak low tide. result 1 more tailor 2.1 Kg, a golden trevally 1.954 Kg and 1 dart 460g.

fished the same drain and bank Thursday night for 4 more tailor biggest going 3.183 Kg and smallest 1.85Kg. the same drain was filling up with dart whiting and bream again and caught/kept/released about 40 bream biggest about 800g, 8 whiting heaviest 320g, 18 dart heaviest 540 g.

was still hunting my big whiting and bream, so headed north up around the cherry venture in search of suitable water and formations and fished there for the fiday arvo low.. once again heaps of bream/ whiting but no size to them. decided to head back the 20km or so to our tailor spot once again.. caught 1 tailor about 1.6 Kg whiting 485g, dart to 570g and a liitle flathead .990g.

so the fishing was fantastic, weather was fantastic, comp was fantastic

angela won

second for tailor on thursday night overall
    second for tailor on fiday night overall
    ladies day... 1st bream
    ladies day... 1st tailor
    ladies day... 1st dart
    ladies day... 2nd whiting

i won

1st overall heaviest tailor thursday night
    1st overall heaviest tailor Friday night
    2nd overall heaviest tailor for the rainbow comp

so we didnt do to bad!

got another club trip up there in two weeks hope fully them big tailor are still hanging around

got heaps of pics to post later on to night when ive got time to resize etc.

Drew

Re: Return from Rainbow Comp!.. with big tailor!

Drew, fished hard, done well. Onya.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Cheers jeremy, should have the photo's up tonight!

Congratulations! ,well done! , Im looking forward to the pics
    rando

Sounds like a great week surf sniper. What baits were u using for the bream and whiting. Also were you just using pillies and 4*4/0 for the tailor?? Thats the standard rig i use.
    Cheers Fritzy

What a good result!! Wish I could do something like that.

Got your PM. Will reply ASAP.

TOL

jack ash, live beach worms snared most of the bream dart and whiting, but a few fell to the old pipi, bream also fell for tailor and bonito gut.

i havent used pillies for about 5-6 years now. nearly all my good tailor are caught on bonito,tuna, tailor,dart and mullet flesh baits. using small rigs of maximum 2 hooks or single hooks with a keeper. wire a must.

Drew

NeilD

Sounds like you had a ball.
    Did you get any pics of the gutter? Was it deep?
    Did all of the large Tailor hit after dark?

Neil

neil, all the tailor were night fish, and a couple before dawn. the gutter wasn't overly deep, just formed well with a back bank which was close enough to cast over at low water.

Thanks for that surf sniper. Just wondering why you tend to use single or 2 hook rigs without using a full gang for tailor. Also what size are the hooks that you use for bream/whiting/tailor?? Finally how do you manage to get so many whiting and bream without pulling in dart every five seconds. I find this often happens to me when fishing with beach worms along teewah and freshwater beeches. Any tips would be great!!
    Cheers Fritzy

Fritzy, reason why im using a single or two hook rig is because im am not using big baits such as pilchads or gar, instead i use small strip baits where one hook is ample. there is no need or reason to use gang hooks for tailor unless riging up with gar or the like, they just help support the bait.

bream, whiting, dart i use size 2 long shanks genraly
    tailor 6/0's

you get the bream and whiting buy targeting certain areas of the gutter/ drain and by using species specific bait, for example if you use gut bait on one rod there is a 99 percent chance it will be a bream, so have one rod with gut, another rod out for dart with worms on it, and another baited with worms in a whiting area of the gutter. that way you can fish for all species at once and catch a variety.

Drew

Great to see you did so well drew!
    Shame we never caught up over the comp! With such great conditions we spent most of the comp out to sea. We never set foot on land for the first three days. We came in wednesday, refueled wieghed some fish got a few prizes headed out again and didnt come back in again until friday...
    catch ya ...foxy

maybe next time foxy!

heres some pics for ya's... check out the beaut weather!!

it was like a sheet of glass on the water!