Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Return from Rainbow Comp!.. with big tailor!

CHRIS_aka_GWH

Re: Return from Rainbow Comp!.. with big tailor!

Quote Originally Posted by SURF_SNIPER

spinners....... what are they??? #

on the beach you use them to catch bait drew

of course I, being a devoted member of the Church of Charles A & Sons, have major philosophical problems with combining the word "spinnners" & the word "beach" .
    ughhhhhhhhhhhh

PRAISE BE TO ALVEY

AMEN.

AMEN!

Excellent stuff. Keep the tips coming!! I've been fishing teewah for a few years off and on and after a few months without a fish I went 2 weeks ago and caught nothing, zippo. I knew the fish were still there though ... good to see someone finding them!

CHRIS_aka_GWH

chisel,

no-one can see the water you fished but ...

what date did you go, what time of day, what was the wind blowing & what bait did you use?
    If at night did you have a light on etc.
    Do you vary the distance you cast when the bites aren't happening?
    Do you change your lead as the tide changes?
    Do you hold your rod in your hands all the time?
    Do you use an Alvey? (line in fingers all the time ... touch)
    Do you DRIVE A LANDROVER?

seeyainthesurf,
    chris

ps i fished the surf the weekend before last with fresh local bait in water that should have produced for one lousy 1.2kg tailor - sometimes it happens - a few months worth & your formula needs changing. #

some great pics there surf_sniper looks like a great trip.
    without being a smart ass the pics on page 3 you have down as bream do you guys class tarwhine as bream in the comps.
    cheers col

col, yep there tarwhine... got used to calling them bream as your correct. the rainbow comp only has bream as a species but allows tarwhine to be weighed in under that catergory.

i reckon they should have tarwhine as a seperate species next year

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by chemmy
    great job mate killer tailor

Dfox:are you going to post a report of your adventure at the comp?
    chemmy- greg probably will post a report or use it for an up coming issue of BnB.

Gee's drew... have to clean the drool off the keyboard to type!

Great looking fish -

What was the most effective flesh bait for the Tailor ?
    just one more cast........

nice fish, like ya alveys do ya? lol a great reel they are

yea you goys got a few ay

how ya going chiefsimo?.... bonito seemed the go on the tailor.

cant have enough alveys fellas each one has it own special memories built into it.

would hate to pull the shed apart and count how many i own i reckon ive kept the alvey factory running for the last 6 years

HAhaha great report and even better fish. I agree on the tarwhine, they should ahve their own prize. HAve caught some absoulte thumpers at Freshwater Creek on pipis in the apst... some going 3 lb +, along with some thumper breambos. Haha yeah me and fritzy do use alveys generally, just believe me its gets very tiring sometimes cranking a raider back with an alvey. Hahah but put on some bait and out come the alveys.
    Cheers,
    JAckash

Good stuff Drew congrats on your effort.
    Pitty we didn't catch up but im sure i will see you on the beach fishing while we head to DI or come home. Drew we left before Sat afternoon and i need the final results of the comp if you have them or can get them so i can use them for next months BushnBeach. Any help would be great.

Cheers Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Chris
    Some answers to your questions.

what date did you go, what time of day, what was the wind blowing & what bait did you use?
    [steve] Sunday 24th ... good conditions, 1 to 1.5m surf, 10-15knot SSE, used live worms and later fresh iqf pillies (note: didn't catch the worms this time around, got them at a bait shop to save a bit of time)
    Fished from 1:30pm to 6pm roughly.

If at night did you have a light on etc.
    Do you vary the distance you cast when the bites aren't happening?
    [steve] Yep, and fished different spots in different gutters/holes/drains

Do you change your lead as the tide changes?
    [steve] No. Although the tide was pretty much on the way out all afternoon until late. What's the significance of the change in lead with tide? I usually fish pretty light if the sweep isn't bad.

Do you hold your rod in your hands all the time?
    [steve] Yeah.

Do you use an Alvey? (line in fingers all the time ... touch)
    [steve] Yep. Although I see surf_sniper has multiple rods working at once - something I've never seriously tried in the surf.
    I had a mate fishing with me trying other spots and all he managed was a medium-sized bream and one solid tailor hit which he lost after a few seconds. This is by far the worst we've ever gone at teewah (apart from when it is unfishable due to weed - no weed this time around.). I think I know what I'm doing - I'm well past beginner stage and I've had some good hauls at various spots over the years ... always happy to hear new tips though.

Do you DRIVE A LANDROVER?
    [steve] Not yet :-) Pathfinder at the moment. Has served me well on the beaches/islands. Is it scaring the fish away? :-)

Greg will see if i can russel up the results, but im not sure if i recorded all of the final weights. might be able to make a phone call..... will see what i can do

if ya see the landie on the beach when heading say hello,

Drew