Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: most succesful way you have caught coral trout

Re: most succesful way you have caught coral trout

Ok have zero opinion on this yet so I haven't submitted a vote and thus I can't read the results... >
    So disregard one of the lure votes because I don't know shit about this!

The only lure I have ever seen catch a trout was a Halco RMG

krtazy

we use live pike on handline or butterflied pike. and also hussar fillet with tail attatched

i just use any dead bait but im sure i would get better results with sum live bait

i use half a pillie on a size 8 hook,running sinker 80lbs handline...works for me

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I haven't been out to the reef for a while. but when it was a regular thing we used to use a rig similar to a paternoster. The 6.0 hook would come out a metre or so above string ( and I mean household string ) and at the end of that would be tied a railway dogspike. We would carry a drum of those things with us. If you were put around the coral, the string broke, you lost the dog spike, so what. The hook etc came back up to the boat. We NEVER fished livies, we only ever went out with a couple of large blocks of frozed squid. A whole squid on a 6.0. That's all we ever fished and we never came home without a hell of feed of everthing, including trout. My ex-mother in law wouldn't eat anything but trout, so you can imagine how important it was for us bring home the goodies. Never missed, not once, and I can say that without fear of retribution. I'm only 43 and I am only talking about 8 years ago. I am sure things have changed in that time, but I'm not sure things have changed that much. Incidentally, my best catches were no further out than the rock cod shoals out from Gladstone. About 14 mile.

Just what worked for me

Dave

Went diving on the weekend chucked out some chopped up queeny and swam away. Came back 20 minutes later to see a nice trout just sitting there staring at the bait. The fish must have stared at the thing for over 5 minutes before he took it. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by devocean
    The only lure I have ever seen catch a trout was a Halco RMG
    I'll be taking the credit for that one!

Caught them on pretty much a dead bait cocktail of pillies and squid, and a handline. 80lbs with a running sinker, as it touches bottom, pull it 2-3 mtres, gives a bit of an edge when they bite and try to turn them. found that the inital pull is strong but then yield as they get closer to the boat.

also caught one of an RMG bleeding mullet, trolled off the back of a yacht at 8knots, passed over a shallow part of the reef off port douglas.

Lighthouse Maintenance Crew's #1 Trout rig.

a) Find atoll on outer reef where no normal plebs go
    b) Use standup gear
    c) attach homemade broomstick popper - any colour approx 250mm long
    d) get your half blind larc driver to drive around flat out bouncing off bommies (did I mention you need a larc? approx 11 tonne with a 350hp cummins - nothing much louder in the ocean - brings in inquisitive trout from everywhere - throws an excellent propwash too)
    e) Hang on because the trout will come out from under the propwash, jump out of the water and over the lure like a weipa cod and smash it on the way back to it's bommie giving you a window of opportunity to turn him of approx .6 sec after the initial fright to not get bricked.

This is a true story - and some of the best fun ever - trout have the biggest balls and smallest brains of any fish bar none......
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Red_Bull

The best method I've found for trout is to use live mullet or garfish on a snelled 2 hook rig. The front hook goes thru the baits top lip (or bottom lip in the case of the gar) and the rear hook goes thru lightly 2 thirds of the way back to the tail.

I fish this rig on a heavy bottom bashing rod and 50 pound braid. I use a 2 m mono leader and a running sinker down onto a swivel and then a 40 cm long 100 pound trace to the bait.

There are prpbably better live baits to use, but up in the Whitsundays where we fish for coral trout, these bait fish are the most prevelant.

This technique is deadly on both large and small trout, and often gets you quality bycatch as well.

Hope that helps,
    Bull.

Well I leant the hard way Neil, as a spearo.
    (1) Spot your fish while snorkling, then decend to his level at least #30 feet horizontly from him.
    (2) Approach slowley; (he will allready have picked you up and will be facing you with his mouth opening and shuting.
    (3) As you get closer #(in range).
    (4) He will turn a full 90 degreese at you for a split second before he buggers off into his hide.
    (5) Thats the best time to get the best shot.

9/0 with hussar or tuna flesh...

I think the pro dory fisherman going for livies were fishing with 9/0s 55-80lb handlines and pillies..

also picked one up on the troll around a coral cay with a red and white halco laserpro when i was going for mackeral...

In_Deep

In the mouth

gogecko

Caught heaps in the Whitsundays on handlines with frozen bait.

Use the dinghy to get in close to the islands, around 12-16ft deep over coral bommies on the Southside of Lindeman Is. Water is so clear, you can see the trout, throw the bait at them, and see enough to steer them away from the bommies. The fishing was so hot that the beer got warm.