Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: most succesful way you have caught coral trout

Re: most succesful way you have caught coral trout

Im with volvo on this one, although i tend to use just a single 7/0 instead of a gang.The live trout boys tend to fish in depths up to 60-70feet ,so i fish around 80 feet for better catches. Hand reels deffently out fish rods for trout im affraid, you loes to many fish with the rods especially in heavy coral areas. ...foxy

yep foxy's got it, my way also, straight down and smash em!

I have found that trout are a vbery inquisitive fish. When a fish is speared or commotion occurs on the bottom a trout always comes a lookin. Favourite saying with my old man was who was going to get the trout at the anchor because everytime we jumped over there was always a trout near the anchor which has just been dropped.

They are a very arrogant fish and like to look for trouble. Have found big baits to be the trick. Like the sound of Volvos idea because I think it is the commotion which initailly attrcts them

At what size do these things become a ciguatera risk around Central Queensland?

Good old squillie[squid and pillie on 2 hooks or both on 1 hook]for me.

kratzy, some of my best trout spots up this way are in 10-12 meters of water ..Truth be told i dont often specifically target ye ole Coral trout cause i reckons they is a wee overated ..
    But if fishing in country for other species like the ole Sweetlip and picking up trout in the process i change over to my handline rig without second thoughts ..
    Other spots for them can range anywhere between five meters to 30 meters but they just commit hurry curry on whatever rig i'm using...
    Cheers

Have to agree with Volvo that a handline will outfish a rod most times when it comes to trout. The bloke I fish with uses a handline, and for quite a while I had a hard time keeping up with his score. Over a period of time I have managed to learn a technique with the rod that has improved the score, but I still consider switching to a hand line sometimes.
    We fish with a livie on an 8/0 vmc at the bottom of our mono trace, and about a meter above that, I have a short dropper with a slab of mullet or squid on a 4/0 or 5/0 vmc. I find the dropper helps a lot as it creates aheap of action, with smaller fish (hussar etc) having a good pick at the slab bait. This action (as others have said) will often cause the trout to race in to see whats happening. Using a rod successfully, requires keeping it in hand all the time, and allowing the trout enough line to swallow the livie, but not enough to get back in the coral. (can be tricky at times).
    Ya win some and ya lose some

Regards, Tony

Geez Tony,

You've gone and given away the secret trout rig - next you'll be posting the secret trout GPS marks

S..000. 00.000
    E..000. 00. 000

or there abouts

Regards, Tony

The best results we had at Swains in deep water for Coral Trout was with a two dropper rig with either 8/0 or 9/0 hooks with fresh Hussar fillets 9 times out of 10 the bottom fillet got smashed first then its pump and wind to get them away from the coral. # and as Tony said you win some you lose some
    Damo

Quote Originally Posted by agnes_jack
    S..000. 00.000
    E..000. 00. 000

or there abouts

Regards, Tony

Bloody nora Tony, thanks for that. You shouldnt give away all your good spots Will be there this weekend and about twenty other boats.

[smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by zedjack33

Bloody nora Tony, thanks for that. You shouldnt give away all your good spots Will be there this weekend and about twenty other boats.

[smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]
    Make sure you take plenty of fuel

on 8:26am Today, zedjack33 wrote:

Make sure you take plenty of fuel

Bloody Hell, and a large boat - that makes it about 500 miles off the West African coast line (SSW of Lagos).

Hey I think Tony's out there now, let's dial into the spy satellite and have a look........ [smiley=jester.gif] [smiley=jester.gif]

lol

Tony...

The_Bulge

VerY well done BARRAHOLIC.