Thread: Favourite ways to rig Ribbon Fish

Pedro

Favourite ways to rig Ribbon Fish

What are the best ways to rig Ribbon Fish (Wolf Herring) for trolling for spannish mackreal
    cheers
    pedro

a

Re: Favourite ways to rig Ribbon Fish

I've only ever seen them on a home made gang, from memory there was about 6 of the buggers with a tail hook as well just in case, needles to say the ribbon fish didn't last very long but apparently thrown back in the freezer after no luck they are good for 2 or 3 more trips? Providing you don't run into a big toothy in the mean time.

6 ganged hooks are the most common method usually 6/0 to 8/0. Most important with wolfies is that you need straight point hook. When you lay hook on a table the point and the shank all lay against the table. Common ganging hooks for pillies etc. usually have a bent point. You can gang hook to hook or use a swivel in between each hook. This gives you a bit more flexibility. Buy swivels to suit the hook. You need to put some weight on the top hook too. Either buy a chin rig, mould a barrel or ball sinker onto the shank or you can use a bit of copper wire and tie it there after riggin it up.

Personally I hate rigging them as they are soft, thin and look like crap compared to other rigged baits. BUT...they work.

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

Something like this might get you started. Just make sure you swim them for a little while beside the boat to make sure they don't spin. The hooks are Mustad 7766 and rigged this way they don't spin at around 3 knots.

cheers,

steve

I put my hooks on the inside of the fish. Get a 60 cm metal ruler push down through the fish carefulk not to breakthe skin. then ffed a big needle down with some mono conbnected to it. The tie the last hook to the mono and pull the rest ofthe hooks through. Then add some weight at the tip and off you go

mine's allways around the old oak tree {sorry fellas}

Hey devocean,
    that sounds really interesting mate, but i can't quite follow your technique. Could u perhaps extend the details a bit, as i am looking for a better way to rig large pike for tailor.
    Cheers Fritzy

Give Northern Angler in Edmonton (near Cairns) a call. They were selling a chin guard set up that makes it a lot easier and works well.