Thread: Giants Causeway @ Fingal Head

Giants Causeway @ Fingal Head

Hello everybody, just joined the chat line a couple of weeeks ago. Been reading up on fishing spots on Northern NSW and need some advice on the Giants Causeway @ Fingal Head. Thanks #

Re: Giants Causeway @ Fingal Head

Hi Saltiger,
    Welcome to the site.I used to fish Fingal regularly a few years ago but havn't been there for 2 years now.The giants causeway can produce some good Tailor and Jew as well as bream,dart and trevally.
    I've found it often depends on the sand formation at the time as I've sometimes found it so silted up you can walk to it from the beach at low tide.You have a bit of protection from the S-Easterlies there but you need to watch the swell and rogue waves that sometimes come over the back. Always be aware of what the waves are doing as 8 of us got swept off there 10 years ago by a wave that came from behind. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt but I've been extra wary ever since. I dont venture out too far to the front of the causeway and prefer to fish 20 ft or so to the right of the little bommie and cast around from there. I personally don't fish there on my own and am very careful on the higher tides which makes it pretty tricky to cross the neck of the causeway. It pays to keep your eyes out for where some of the local boys are fishing.If it's blowing a hard SE and there is a bit of a swell I'd recommend you go to the south wall of the Tweed as often the baitfish move in there for protection and the Tailor are often there after them.
    Hope that helps and can post a report of your efforts
    Knackers