Thread: How do you livebait mullet please

How do you livebait mullet please

How do you livebait mullet please?

How do you hook them on I meant sorry. I want to hook a large one on and not sure how or where to hook.

Thanx
    Ang

Re: How do you livebait mullet please

If you mean large as in half kilo large, try a 9/0 or 10/0 through the shoulder. with 80lb trace of about 2metres. Weightless as a mullet that large can swim for its own. Cast up current and let it drift.
    Smaller mullet can be anchored down with sinkers if the current is too strong. traces of a metre or so if they are on the bottom. Pick the size of the hook. Make sure you get the finest gauge you can use as a huge hook can kill the mullet really fast. For the smaller mullet a 4/0 or 5/0 would do the job fine for flathead, school jew, trevally etc
    Matt

Be very careful not to push you're hook through the lateral line running down the side of the fish as this will kill them very quickly

Cheers Kev

Hi Ang,

Where were you thinking of going?

TOL

many methods for many fishy"s usually in current nose or belly and if under a ballon or unwieghted under dorsal fin. big mullet livey ah good luck watch out for those big winged vermin!!

If you're fishing off the beach, pin 'em thru the top section in front of the tail lightly with a reasonably fine hook. Don't try distance casting with it, just gently swing it out a bit. This method encourages them to swum away from the weight (your line), so they'll get themselves out to where you want 'em.

if your in current hook 'em thru the mouth. open his mouth and insert the hook thry the upper portion only. just behind the lips. if you open his mouth it allows the fish to breath better and it doesn't get tired has quickly.

I tend to rig them under the doral fin with a good heavy trace, and a 6/0 or 7/0 hook. The mustard big gun hooks have worked well in the past on some nice trevally, and some very large rays - but still waiting for that big jew.
    Cheers Fritzy

6/0 or 7/0 hook through there back

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend
    Hi Ang,

Where were you thinking of going?

TOL
    I have been told a "secret" spot on the brisbane river lol so I want to try it