Thread: Surf Fishing - Live Bait?

Ben_Gray

Surf Fishing - Live Bait?

Have become rather interested lately in the idea of using live bait in the surf. I have seen all the recent threads on this site and particularly taken note of the rigs attached to recent threads by Chris and Drew with regards to tackle and rigging. The thing that I am stumped with , is how do you get a livie out far enough to be of any use. I have thought of the idea that you use quite a large livie that will swim itself to the back, other than that how? cant imagine whipping a livie out with a big cast without killing it or pulling the hooks

Any information would be greatly appreciated, as I am heading to DI point in two weeks and may be able to put it to practice.

Cheers
    Ben

Re: Surf Fishing - Live Bait?

I dunno if this is of any use, but last year at fraser using an average size length of trace, say 70 cm, we were casting full tailor fillets and they werent going overly far but we were still hooking up to some thumping big fish. SO yeah i guess you dont ahve to cast that far, but i also presume using livies would be harder, as u mentioned pulling the hooks being an issue.
    Cheers,
    JAckash
    PS Im also very itnerested in this post... Fraser in a few weeks

Grayman

We used to use a double hook rig in South Africa for the Jewies and big tailor. We would fish these on 14ft surf rods and overheads and use 7ounce weights to cast them a long way. Before you say holy crap that is the tackle that most fishos use in the surf there. Baits consisted mainly of live mullet. If they were hooked right we never had hooks pullin out and the mullet were fighting fit after hitting the water.It is a difficult rig to explain, although very similar to a normal livey rig. The only difference being that we would thread the hook up the back of the mullet and leave a long tag end on the knot to stop it sliding back.. The sliding hook would be hooked through the tail just behind the dorsal.
    We would then hurl this into a deep gutter. If you give me a bel I might be able to explain it a bit better. My mobile is 0432040256. It was a very effective way method , if the mullet were not too big we would only use one hook and again thread it up the back of the mullet letting the hook come out just behind the head once again leaving a long tag end in the not to help position and secure the hook.

Cheers Roderick.

Very Interesting rig Flickflack.
    Do you mean you thread the hook right rhru and let the bait hang on the tag of the knot. How long do you make the tag ? Do you just thread the hook under the skin as recommended by Drew( surfsniper) or will this tear the hooks out
    cheers
    rando

Rando

No mate I stick the hook through the skin right next to the top fins and out again then back through the skin a bit closer to the head and out again and then one last time so that it comes out just behind the head. Ithen let the shank of the hook go back into the same hole but the tag stays on the outside of the skin. I use a figure of eight knot so the tag runs straight back towards your mainline. Very difficult to explain if I could draw it ,it would be quick. So the hook basically ends up with the shank running down the back of the mullet and the bend nice and open

So you almost weave the hook in and out a few times and then use the tag of line to stop it unweaving?? Confusing but interesting.

Thanks Roderick
    I think I get it
    Im assuming you use a 5/0 or bigger.
    Ive been using wire a bit of late but its no trouble to do a few rigs in mono, cant wait to give it a try
    rando

Ill def's be giving it a crack aswell, but wont the big tailor, especially the ones big enough to scoff down a livie, jsut clip through the mono?
    cheers,
    JAckash

You relly don't need to cast too far to get into the good fish if you pick the right gutter .
    Choose a livie that holds up better to a flogging , mullet definately would be the strongest .hooking through the back will also give you a stronger hold for the cast .
    You could even try dropping the line size and swimming them out without a sinker !

billo is on the money as i have pulled good jew from not much water at all while in the ( right hole) and the big hardey mullet is the go had a jew of 38 kilo eat a mullet that would be considered large for a bait even by seasoned jew fishers standards but take it he did and at 2 am at that.

Ben_Gray

Thanks for the input gents. Will definately give all options a bash next thursday when I get there. Anybody know the long range weather forecast?