Thread: Bribie Island Jew

Bribie Island Jew

Looking for any advice in Jews up around Bribie beaches and pumicestone passage .
    Just moved up there and doing a bit of nosing around looking for spots .
    I am going out over the next few nights to check out around the bridge and a few holes an gutters ....and may even try the beaches

Can anyone shed some light on good spots and timing / moon phase / tides / techniques ???

Re: Bribie Island Jew

Cant say ive fished the area. But as for timing, moon phase and tides. They're almost universal to most systems.
    Timing-There's always 2 trains of thought to this one. Either hit him hard from the start, or let him swallow it and let him have some time to swallow the bait. Most fisho's will let the fish run with the bait. This allows for the fish to fully swallow the bait and more chances for a positive hookup.
    Moon phase-Once again, different trains of thoughts. I dont usually worry about the moon as i have caught jew on all stages of the moon cycle.
    I prefer the bottom of the tide. But thats only relevant to the spot i fish at. As long as its slack water, either top or bottom of the tide. It will be in this 20 minute window of no water movement that you will most likely get the hookup.
    Good luck.
    Read some of the otha threads about techniques as there is literally hundreds.
    Matt
    p.s wateva baits you use, make sure they are fresh. Fresh being caught by you within an hour of using it. Live is even better.

markpeta

Billo,

Welcome to the Island. Havnt heard much of jews getting around at the moment. A few good places to start looking is any deep holes along the Island side of the passage from the bridge south. Also the surfside from Koolmara resort to skirmish but dont go leaving your car along any tracks at night or it might not be there when you get back. Should be able to get some live squid in the passage around the jetty or live chopper tailor on the surfside.

Mark

yeh ive never caught jew up there but i know that you are definiteley a lucky bugger cos there is some good fishing around there and you live so close...let us know how you go

If you put the time in you should be able to get a jew around the bridge using live bait (mullet, tailor, herring, pike whatever you can get your hands on) not sure on moon phases though, but you would definetly have to fish around the tide changes because it really rips through around the bridge pylons. You may even try fishing when there is not much height change between high and low tides to try and maximise the time that you can keep a bait in the strike-zone. (I don't know how this would work out with moon phases though)

Best of luck
    Kev

over the years i have heard that they get them under the bridge on the mainland side. Around the 3rd pylon, deeper holes there. Also seen a big one at the ramp on night that a fella caught on that bend just up from the jetty. There is a deep channel and a wreck in there. I always have been led to large mullet fillets with a single 8/0 in them is the best bait.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cheers guys ...
    I went out for a bit last night , have a stinging sensation they were there ...the fourth pillar from the mainland side .
    A lot of bait with pike ripping the surface and dolphins working the schools aswell .
    There were some great arches showing piled up ontop of each other .
    I was out just before the swing of the tide when the rain hit ..no wet weathers or even a jumper saw me heading back in ,,...and i would believe judging from previous experience in the same kind of structure they may start chewing on the swing .

Spiro , i know where you are talking of ...looks like a nice little bend , theres some damn shallow water round there...haven't found the wreck yet .

on another point ...i was out there around the top of the tide ( according to tide charts for Bongaree ) but the current moving in was still quite strong ....whats the go with that ...how long does it take for the tide to swing between bongaree and the bridge ,...would not have thought it could be more then half hour ??

Any time any one wants to hook up for a fish ....just say the word ! I'm up for anything , my boat or yours ...inshore or offshore , give me a yell !

Billo - I'd be keen to take you up on the offer to chase jewies! Haven't caught any up here, but hammered a few down in Sydney in my younger years...

PM if you're interested.

Cheers,

Dan