Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Stocks in the bay...?

Re: Stocks in the bay...?

Lefty -Green
    Nobody on this site would dispute (some) rec fishing inpact.
    Lets look at that fact first. Anybody who is regular on this site would have read one of my posts and would recognise me as a passionate fisherman. I have devoted countless hours And thousands of dollars to teaching myself to fish and acquiring the equipment to be successful. I employ a great deal of the collective knowledge I have gained from this site and other sources to pursue my hobby.
    THE IMPACT I HAVE ON THE ENVIRONMENT PER ANNUM WOULD NOT AMOUNT TO ONE FISH PER WEEK. REMEMBER I HAVE ENDEAVOURED TO EQUIP MYSELF FOR A REASONABLE CHANCE OF SUCCESS.
    Now lets look at a trawler. I had a discussion with a trawlerman last week in my office and he was explaining his strategy for the period from now till christmas
    I quote" Iwill not turn the engine off once the season gets into swing and only come to port to unload"
    I quote " They( the prawns) bury in the mud up to a foot deep , we drag a chain through the mud to stir them up & into the net"
    HOW CAN ANYONE COMPARE THE IMPACT I AND OTHERS LIKE ME HAVE ON FISH STOCKS, WITH THE ENVIRONMENTAL RAPE THAT JUST ONE TRAWLER COMMITS IN A SEASON LET ALONE A YEAR.
    I believe I am one of a fairly small subset of ' educated fishers" !.in other words most of them are hopeful opptomists who catch a few by GOOD FORTUNE ,rather than by pursueing their fishing with passion.
    It is a matter of scale, yes there are a reported 880000 rec fishers ,but the definition is based on people who go fishing ONCE OR MORE A YEAR. Sunfish's own discription of its survey parameters.
    My advise is this, before you go taking on all comers in a debate make sure you have a valid point to defend.
    Yes I agree Rec fishers have an impact . BUT . Does it approach in any way the wholesale slaughter a net fisher (of any kind) imparts to the environment.
    The answer is NO NO NO.
    Examples
    Shark nets ,,,Wholesale slaughter.
    Trawlers ,,, Wholesale slaughter and habitat destuction, massive & % bycatch
    Set pocket nets ,,,(a la Mud Island two months ago) read the posted discription
    Beach launched Pro netters ,,, wholesale destuction of schools of spawn run fish ( Mullet/ tailor)
    Barra pro's set nets ,,, wholesale destruction.
    Also Remember this, no matter what they say Commercial fisherman are just that FISHING FOR PROFIT.
    NOT FOR FUN
    NOT FOR A FEED
    USING A PUBLICALLY OWNED RESOURCE FOR THEIR OWN PROFIT.
    Lets stick to comparing apples to apples Lefty Green
    rando

bidkev

Good post Rando.

Unfortunately, I think lefty has left He seemed to be more of a talker than a listener.

kev

Bugger and I was on a roll. I'll put the soapbox back in the cupboard

Mishinoffishin

I know I won't catch this many tailor in my lifetime and they did it twice a day. The amount of fish left outta the water while they sorted all the undersize (which were thrown back in to happily float belly up back into the sea) was enough to really piss you off. I was trying to let this post die, but since it won't I'll put in my 2 bob again.
    Cheers, Jay's bro

Mishinoffishin

PS. that was only a 1/3 at the most of the length of the net.

When and where did this happen? Wouldn't be much left after that little effort.

TOL

strewth ....!!