Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stocks in the bay...?

Re: Stocks in the bay...?

Quote Originally Posted by lefty_green
    Does anyone else believe that it is not only commercial fishing that impacts upon fish stocks, but recreational fishing as well? You need only look at Pumicestone Passage on a Saturday morning to see that recreational fishing MUST have some impact.
    Lefty
    Yes, but if you have fishd pumicestone passage since before the commercial closure, you would agree that it is much healthier and far more productive now than it was 5-10 years ago. There are some really good fish in there and good numbers too.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I believe there should be a licensed introduced. Everytime I go down into NSW I always come back with a feed. They help stock the waters with the revenue they get from licensing. Both recreational and commercial fisherman have an impact, which one more is very obvious. The main problem with recreational fisherman is that to many don't keep up to date with the regulations. Its a shame but true. I used to volunteer for the DPl Fishcare and to many people didn't know there regualtions etc.

Thats your opinion Jeremy. How often do you fish PP? I live on Bribie and I personally dont believe that the fishery has improved as much as everyone thinks. Still alot of undersize stuff around. But thats my opinion. Go to a boat ramp on a nice day and see how many parks there are or walk along the passage and see how much rec fishing effort is going into PP. Its about time rec fishers started accepting some of the blame for the reduction of fish numbers.
    Lefty

Lefty,

I have no problem accepting that rec fishoes are responsible for some of the blame for reduction of fish numbers. Particularly for some species more than others. But for many species, it is a drop in the ocean compared to the effects of beam trawling in the estuaries and prawn trawling offshore.

I fish Pumicestone passage only a few times a year. One of our club members fishes it 1-2 times a week and I chat to him quite a bit about his catches. The turn around has been remarkable in the last few years. He used to fish Jumpinpin quite a bit (and still fishes there) and regularly catch 20-30 flathead (all released) in a day. That can still happen, but is much rarer now. In contrast, poor catches in PP have now turned into 20-30 flathead. How about 20 in an hour recently without pulling the anchor? (again all released). I'm not just talking shyt, there is some evidence to back it up!

You wrote "I live on Bribie and I personally dont believe that the fishery has improved as much as everyone thinks"...well mate, sounds like you are the odd one out here to me. Do you catch much yourself?

Also, commercial closures will have little impact on the numbers of undersized fish. Increasing minimum size limits will improve this. Heaps of undersize fish is a good sign for the fishery.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    He used to fish Jumpinpin quite a bit (and still fishes there) and regularly catch 20-30 flathead (all released) in a day. That can still happen, but is much rarer now.

Why is this? There are no trawlers or beam trawlers working down there! How can this occur if there are no trawlers? It wouldnt be the massive increase in rec fishing effort would it?

You have dug yourself a substantial hole there mate - I cant wait to see how you get out of this one??

[quote author=Jeremy link=1125463337/10#18 date=1126049231]He used to fish Jumpinpin quite a bit (and still fishes there) and regularly catch 20-30 flathead (all released) in a day. That can still happen, but is much rarer now.

Why is this? There are no trawlers or beam trawlers working down there! How can this occur if there are no trawlers? It wouldnt be the massive increase in rec fishing effort would it?

You have dug yourself a substantial hole there mate - I cant wait to see how you get out of this one?? [/quote]

I am pretty sure - but not certain - that there are still trawlers working the logan river and possible other areas of Jumpinpin. Would be interested to get some facts on this. And yes, I agree there is alot of rec fishing effort down the 'pin these days.

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy

Greenie....sorry , I mean lefty_green. None of us will deny that rec. fishing has an impact on fish stocks. What they were stating is that stopping commercial fishing in the bay and rivers would have a positive affect on the area, even you can't deny that. Trawlers use a very destructive and unselective method of fishing which is best suited to the deeper waters . All those boats you see at PP that end up catching very little generate a huge amount of $ into the industry by buying their days petrol, all the gear and bait, maintaining their boat etc. and in my opinion have chosen great hobby. If the stocks are still being too badly hurt by recos, then it is for the government to adjust rules and regulations and enforce it. Yes recos have an impact. Most of us are perfectly willing to allow any necessary changes in the regulations although it often seems the powers that be need a little more education in their decision making. I really don't see the point you are attempting to make. Why don't you go stand at the ramp and preach your crap and try to only allow limited numbers to launch for the day. What is your point green .
    Cheers, Jay

bidkev

[

Nope. The increase in recreational boating. It is well recognised here, that fishing "out of season" is a lot more productive. There seems to be an assumption amongst many that every boat on the Pin or broadwater fishes. The vast majority are recreational boaters, not fishers, and although some "dabble" at fishing, I would think (looking at how some of them fish) that there impact as 'fishermen" is zilch.

cheers

kev

Left greeny, time to take that spoon and eat jeremys arse pal

Quote Originally Posted by mackmauler
    Left greeny, time to take that spoon and eat jeremys arse pal

Better make it a BIG spoon!!

Good response Mack - good rational argument! I am pretty sure the Jeremy actually agreed with me there "And yes, I agree there is alot of rec fishing effort down the 'pin these days", so pull your head in eh?

Jeremy the beam trawl effort in the Logan and Albert Rivers has been reduced dramatically over the last few years. Also, all beam trawlers are required to fit their nets with Bycatch Reduction Devices to minimise the impacts of their fishing on the ecosystem. I am not saying they have no impact - they certainly do. I am saying that you CANNOT blame them totally for the reduction of fish numbers. Everyone seems keen to blame the beam trawlers but there NEVER has been beam trawlers in PP.

Also the biggest beam trawl fishery occurs in the Brisbane River and look whats happened there over the last few years - best squire and bream seasons for ages?

Perhaps the reduced numbers of fish in PP has more to do with the 1000's of acres of pine forests that are planted on the banks. What about the pollution and habitat degredation occurring around the Bay - surely this contributes to the reduction in fish numbers? I think its important to look at the big picture before pointing fingers. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Moreton Bay was closed to all fishing - would reco's and pro's stand together like they did up the reef with RAP? I think so. It depends on the enemy as to who's your ally.

Fishinmishin what I am saying is that stopping rec fishing in the bay and rivers would have a positive affect on the area. How can you justify removing commercial effort without reducing rec effort?

lefty_green posted today at 12:37pm
    "Fishinmishin what I am saying is that stopping rec fishing in the bay and rivers would have a positive affect on the area. How can you justify removing commercial effort without reducing rec effort? "

whats the point of having a good fishing area if rec fishers aren;t aloud to fish there? seems a little strange

anyone else confused at that?
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

OK lefty, its time to take your goggles off before you comment any further. You have contradicted yourself (trawlers in Jumpinpin) and repeatedly misconstrued what myself and others are saying. You obviously have a particular barrow to push. You ain't gunna make any friends pushing it here, so why not just bugger off and take it elsewhere.

I also said that "for many species, it is a drop in the ocean compared to the effects of beam trawling in the estuaries and prawn trawling offshore. ", and really, that is for MOST species.

Hope you're hungry...

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy

There aren't trawlers at the 'pin are there?? Also, it may be time to take your BLINKERS off. I have no particular barrow to push. I am a rec angler just like you, its just that I can put that aside in a debate such as this.

Whats the old saying "people in glasshouses...etc". Until we actually know the impact of rec fishing, no-one can tell me that rec fishers aren't having a significant effect on fish stocks. And for people to point the finger at one sector is very dangerous. I understand that you and probably the majority of the people on this site hate commercial fishing and see that as the problem but I dont believe its the only problem. Too many things contribute to the well-being of a stock and habitat is a major one.

There will come a day when we as rec fishers will have to justify why we should be allowed to fish for FUN while we put others out of work. I would say you need rational arguments not something like "Left greeny, time to take that spoon and eat jeremys arse pal " that wont cut it.

Fishinmishin what I am saying is that stopping rec fishing in the bay and rivers would have a positive affect on the area. How can you justify removing commercial effort without reducing rec effort?
    I can justify it by being aware that most of the boats fishing areas such as PP are doing so because their rig or experience on the water limits them to the area unlike trawlers which have the ability to be fishing other areas. Also the areas such as the bay and rivers are a bit of a sanctuary and fishermen selectivly fish using specific baits, hook sizes and areas unlike trawlers which use the 'your in my path then your mine' approach. Yes stopping all rec fishing would have a positive effect on stocks, but so would not eating fish from the stores all together but we all know this aint gonna happen. Anyhow, you state that fish numbers are so low in the PP that's it is hard for recs to catch much, well how much damage are they really doing then.
    Anyhow, enough politics......I'm going fishing.
    A good way to use your 1st 5 posts on a fishing site mate.
    Cheers, Jay