Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Biggest fish in a cast net

Re: Biggest fish in a cast net

dad got 70cm+ barra in one at Kingfisher Bay on fraser. He didnt get it in, bit to strong and fast. lol. At night the barra come alive under that jetty. around 5 or 6 big ones. dad tryed about everything to catch them.

Boy I love these stories - but I can't the beat crocs or sharks in the net. They split my sides open when I read those stories, especially the parts where half the net is just *gone* - painfully funny. "The net just started moving" - I'm sure it will happen to me some day.

Certainly I packed a few flathead in the net, up to ~60 cm. It is always what you don't see under the bait pack. Also caught a decent 3.5kg estuary cod unawares. My best mullet haul was 40-50 mullet in the 25-30 cm range and strewth was I sick of pulling dam mullet out of the cast net pockets. So many, that I ended up eating some. I actually thought it was a sprinkling of prawns, but when the net hit the water, for sure I knew it were fish.

I saw one kid pull in 2 Luderic, and 1 trevally all at least 30cm each in a cast net in one cast.

It was down at Raby Bay off the wharf.

got three thumper mullet around 45 cm each once, dont know how, but i ended up throwing them back

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I caught a 45cm Mangrove Jack in Cast Net around Cairns a couple of years ago.

cheers,

steve

The Biggest I hav ecaught is a pair of mullet that went around the kilo and a half each. Caught both the buggers in the one throw, they came leaping out of the water still in the net,

Scared the living cr$p out of me ,I told my mum that I had slipped ont the muddy bank.

Hey all. Cast netting for prawns of the old bridge in the Barron river in cairns i managed to throw a brand new cast net over the resident grouper. With little more than a flick of its massive tail he managed to trash my net and leave it wrapped around about three pylons with a hole big enough to drive a bus through. Pretty awesome feeling though to be connected to a 1.5m + fish even for a few seconds.

I've caught a stingray that would've been a good 70cm accross, a mullet that was as thick as my calf and would've the biggest mullet ive ever seen (it stunk so it went back in the drink)

I can't say I've caught anything huge in the net, but I've only thrown it a few times.....very much in the novice class

But the first time I threw off the boat instead of the local park, there was a school of herring going beserk in Cobby Passage, so casting over the top of them , started to get huge tugs on the net. The local pike brigade had the herring baled up, so when I pulled up the net I not only had about 60 herring but 5 fair size pike up to 35cm.....bonus!

I quite like this cast netting

Biggest fish I've got in the net was a 78cm flathead at the mouth of the canals at Birkdale, whilst casting for live mullet. Wasn't having much luck, so threw the net in about 30cm of water whilst walking back up to the bank. Fish tore the net to an unrepairable state, but was a great catch for the price. Fish was released.

Have also caught a few mullet around the 40cm+ size, good sized luderick, bream etc.

Quote Originally Posted by -spiro-
    When i lived in Innsfail i casted off a pontoon infront of the boat club. The net started moving instead of the hits you feel on the net. All of a sudden the net was shaking violently and when i pulled it up there was a salt water croc in it. It was around 3-4ft what a job to get it out, took 2 of us. Needless to say the net was wrecked.
    We have also caught some massive catfish in a cast net.
    You win spiro! great catch!! they reckon they are nice with chips.
    Ian

Ps. A 2 foot river whaler wrecked one of mine once.
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Glen.m

This is my first post, just trying to work out the system of how to communicate on the site so please don't be too harsh. Best cast I have had was while casting for bait at Weipa off the bank under the bridge before launching the boat for a fish on a North Aus trip in 2001. Got 9 legal Bream, up to 30cm and a 64cm Barra in one cast. 10 Foot drop mono net, sounds rediculous but fact is stranger than fiction. No need to go fishing after that but did anyway to brain the Queenies.

I have netted several estuary cod I am a lousy net thrower and have got them right at the bank on an incoming tide, basically at my feet.

The biggest one about 2kg.

I found leaving a live prawn or fish just on the waters edge was a sure fire way to target these cod they cruise the edge where bait had no chance to escape.

It makes for fun fishing to have a line go off when you have about 6 feet of line out.

I had a go at one of those schools of sardines that you see on the 6 o'clock news sometimes with all the sharks and big fish cruising through. It sounded like a good idea at the time to net some of these fish untill the net actually hit the water. With the school so tightly packed because of all the predators I got nearly 20kgs of east coast pilchards in one throw. Where I had the slip-knot/loop around my wrist started to cut into my skin and my hand and fingers went blue and cold as the circulation got cut off and I was nearly pulled over the side of the boat. My mate and skippa for the day near wet himself laughing at my stupidity

scot15 got some nice flathead in his cast net and some massive mullet to. The flathead would have ben about 55cm and the mullet would have been about 45cm