Thread: Whitsunday Island - fishing whilst camping

Whitsunday Island - fishing whilst camping

Hello!
    I am going camping on Whitsunday Island in a months time and I'm keen to do some fishing (off rocks or in the estuary) whilst I am there. The problem is there is no refrigeration so I'm thinking bait is going to be a bit of a problem, also since we are roughing it and won't be able to shower, I'm not too keen to be too stinky and can't carry much. Can anyone recommend a good form of bait I could use whilst camping?

Re: Whitsunday Island - fishing whilst camping

I didn't think you could camp there... anyhow, soft plastics and a cast net can get you out of this sticky, good luck

catch live baits, use a bait jig or small slug oh and watch the green zones

Green zones hold the most fish

Camping on Whitsunday Isalnd is permitted.

I have camped there many times overe the years, and found Scrub Hen Beach the best. There are oyster encrusted rocks at either end of the beach and these oysters make good bait. The Northern end is more productive and fishing on the making tide with shallow diving lures is the go. Even surface poppas will do the job.

Species I have caught from those rocks are, Mackerel, Cod, Trout, Parrot, Trevally, Fussilier, Stripeys and Sweetlip.

At night along the sandy foreshores, the GT's come in real close smashing up the poddy mullet in the shallows. There is an opportunity to cast net these ( mullet )., and stake them out, waiting, waiting...............

We only ever kept enough fish for the days feed, and that was usually a Trout. The most productive lure for Trout is a Nilsmaster 6inch Invinsible. Black top, silver underbody with red strips.

For further info, PM, me.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

take some soft plastics, i fished with them off long island last september and caught cod,stripeys (spanish flag), trout and tuskies.... all small but good fun on 3kg.

With a sufficient amount of soft plastics and a cast net you wont go wrong buddy. I have been there recently for the first time, and the fishing is just great, caught most of my fish on fresh squid and pillies but lures came in handy. Got 9 kg Gold Spot

Joel