Thread: Mackeral off Woody Point Jetty????

Mackeral off Woody Point Jetty????

Just wondering has anybody ever caught Mackeral off the Woody Point Jetty ? #Unfortunately I like the Mackeral Fishing but don't have a boat . #Is there a good land based spot to catch Mackeral in the Caboolture/Bribie/Redcliffe area?

Mark

Re: Mackeral off Woody Point Jetty????

Never seen them here before but they might come in casting distance to the shorncliff jetty?

I've caught a few mackerel from land-based situations along the Redcliffe Peninsula in the past. They come into the western bay in late summer - February-March is probably the best time. The best LB location for them close to brisbane is Skirmish point on the SE corner of Bribie Island where they come in close in summer. You need a high tide turning in the early morning. When the run-out starts a big eddy forms on the corner. Cast out into the tidal run and let your bait drift out and then swing into the eddy. It's a good place to use a balloon to get a bait well out. There's plenty of schoolies caught there and the odd spaniard at times.
    Cheers Freeeedom

many years ago my dad and i were fishing the woody point jetty using small hook and no trace and hooked a mackerel. using a disposbale reel and it died. so we pulled it up by hand and the line snapped as the fish broke the surface.

i see the odd person there fishing for mackerel
    Bring on the Marlin!!!

Mark, during the summer months the odd mackeral is caught from the jetty at woody point, mainly doggies.
    If your keen to get a few landbased, id suggest to keep an eye on the fishing reports and when the mack catches are frequent, drive up to mooloolaba and have a fish off the rock wall at the mouth.
    Closer to home the bongaree jetty at bribie produces a few as well.
    Otherwise if all else fails you can grab a seat with us on a bay hunting trip...foxy

Mate we used to catch Mackeral off the Woody Point jetty back in the 60s not any more . But the Shornecliffe pier is worth a go early morning try using Yellow tail Fredmanboy