Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning shovelnose sharks?

Cleaning shovelnose sharks?

Hi guys I headed out to the rocks off woody point today chasing bream. Unfortunately we didn't get one single bream, however we did get a squire, 2 rays, a pike, large herring and some nice shovelnose sharks all of which we let go. But when I saw some guys in another boat catching and keeping them I started thinking that maybe I should be keeping them Problem is I've never kept a shark before so I have no idea what to do with them
    Sooo, can someone explain to me how I go about cleaning/skinning them as I hope to head out again in the morning and catch a few more
    Thanks
    Shane

Re: Cleaning shovelnose sharks?

Couple of year ago we caught a couple at mooloolaba, just chopped off the head, tail and fins and gutted it and then cut it into steaks. Was great the first night but not so great the second. No idea if this is how your meant to do it though. BTW youll need a sharp knife and need to be prepared to sharpen it again when you finish.
    Cheers
    Jackash

hey, done a few of these # when u catch it blead it by cutting below the mouth, but above the diaphram line. cut the width of the body to ensure u get the main artery.
    with a sharp knife, start at the tail and fillet it just like a flathead. cut the fins off the sides and get rid of them. you should be left with a the head and backbone with the guts attached, turf it.
    to skin them (the tedious part) skin it like a flatty fillet. hold the skin and lift away from the flesh and run the knife back and forwards along where the flesh and skin meet. the key is to skin the top first, then the bottom. if u can pull the skin off with force, go ahead. this can only usually be achived with the last 1/3rd. if its a big one, take out the rib cage, if not, u can leave it in if u wish. the 'bones' are cartlidge and 'disolve' when cooked.
    beutiful eating
    btw, dont be surprised if there are baby rays in the stomach. this is normal as they are live bearers. males have long pendulos anal fins and females have short/normal looking ones.
    cheers

ps i like to cook them by cutting the fillets into 'fishfinger' size strips and dipping in whisked egg and rolled in breadcrumbs. then fry in a frypan or bbq

HAhah that description sounds a bit better than mine.... sorry for wasting your time.
    Cheers

bit hard to explain really i did my best i taught myself when 17, so shouldnt be too hard to work out. just give it a go. i did a 10kg specimen once. it took me 45 mins!! but it was worth it. the fillets were like a topside of steak!!!

Thanks guys. The crumbed fish finger idea sounds good
    Stupid me was actually thinking I would have to fillet out the bones. Duh.. No bones
    Is there any size limit on these sharks?
    Shane

Pfffttt...why would u bother ...just let the bloody thing go,,,

Sportfish_5

Over to Kev

hi there .........i normaly gut them and bleed them as quick as i can , take the fins off ...get a serated knife cut it into one inch cutlets and your done...no need to skin them ,when you cook it the skin turns very soft and you just scrape it off....................arch

Quote Originally Posted by jackash
    Was great the first night but not so great the second. Jackash
    just curious to that comment has anyone else had the same experience with shark meat

was always told to freeze shark befor eating .ive tried it fresh and after freezing and found no differance,but if left in the fridge over night it tends to go mushy.arch...........

Technically speaking they are rays. Another way of bleeding shovelnoses in to cut the tail off. Fillet them in a similar mannar to flathead. The flesh is quite firm, though softens when cooked and lends itself well to barbecuing. They have the tendancy to accumulted ammonia, but this can be overcome by soaking the flesh in saltly water, as ammonia is water soluble. While there are better fish in the sea to eat, don't overlook the humble shovelnose ray. i've eaten them over 6 foot long, but try to stick to the smaller models.

Kendall

Sharp knife! #Once they get over 6 foot you have to fillet them with an axe.

yeah zario I agree the big ones need an axe. As the first big shovelnose I filleted I broke two boning knives that are capable of boning beef all day long!!

KINGTIN KEV IS YOUR MAN!