Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brisbane Jacks?

dorado

Brisbane Jacks?

I've never heard or read of anybody pulling Jacks out of any of the creeks or rivers in and around Brisbane. Any body had much success and if so on what kind of bait, technique etc, etc? I'm thinking of trying out a few of the small creeks and inlets around Nudgee, Cabbage Tree Creek this weekend. Be handy to have some tips.

Thanks

Re: Brisbane Jacks?

gday dorado,

firstly, jacksons creek is a goer. runs right in near the airport. with cabbage tree - try right up near the bridge at deagon. grab some poddies, butterfly fillet em, and throw em downcurrent close to a certain bend. you may be ambushed by catties but know for a fact that many jacks have been taken here using this method. hard to believe in good ole cabbage tree i know! also , try the upper reaches of the pine, right up near the paper mill. never taken one from there yet but apparently there's some monsters! by catches of cod and flatties will also appear in these areas. good luck, and make sure you let us know how you go!

cheers,

cuzza

oh yeah, try scarborough marina sometime as well . some great bruisers in there if you find the right places. also some great cod and trevors too! plenty of jacks around brissy mate, just nobody's gonna tell ya where cos theyre so bloody hard to find. but they are there!

land_based

hey cuzza i wet a line in scarborough marina last week, mind you it was only as i was netting some poddy mullet, but i had my prawn out for atleast 20-30 mins and didnt have so much as a touch! When you fish there do you walk around on the rock wall??

dorado

G'Day Cuzza,

That's excellent matey, tyvm! This all very new to me and I've never successfully boated one of these brutes before. Here's hoping things are about to change. Not quite sure how to exactly butterfly a poddie though...could you please explain to a noob?

Cheers,
    Dorado

gday fellas,

land based

mate have you got a boat? my best spot you can only get there by boat. go to the bridge- the first one you get to in the main channel. do a u turn so youre facing nth (i think) and go back towards the entrance. on the second canal entrance turn left and fish the corner there on your left. sorry mate if thats a bit confusing. there must be a hole there cos i know at least one purple bruiser that lives there - and he's big! he was put back and i guess he woulda gone back there. that was a year ago tho so hopefully still be there. and i reckon others would be too. but yeah, hang on cos man he fought (what jack doesnt!) another option loff land iss along the rock wall where the boats are moored. lost a jack (biggish) trying to lift him without a net a few years ago there on a hardihead. also caught plenty of cod there - some decent sized too! good luck mate, lemme know how you go.

dorado,

mate to butterfly the fillet just make a normal incision and fillet the poddy like you would a normal fish, but leave a bit attached. both sides. throw her down stream and she'll flap in the current. great for jacks, and easier to hook up that way i reckon. just hold on at all times cos theyll smoke you quick smart there, especially around high when they go straight into the mangroves. enjoy the feeling of jack fishing mate - theyre elusive and frustrating but when theyre on by geez you know aboiut it! let us know how you go! i reckon use 3 or 4/0 hooks too by the way. all the best.

cheers,

cuzza

land_based

unfortunately no boat mate, i misunderstood you, i thought you meant scarborough harbour not the mariner/canals. I have fished here when i used to have my tinny, and caught more estuary cod than anything! will have to get myself a car topper and get down there again one day.

dorado

Excellent Cuzza, tyvm #I've fished the Newport mariner from time to time but only ever pulled out river perch/small school jewies but no Jacks. Must try Scarborough now that you mentioned it! I live not that far from where Cabbage Tree Creek meets the Deagon bridge and drive over it often. Quite often I see blokes with crab pots or bait nets there. Never thought you'd get Jacks up around there though as it looks a bit murky and stagnant in places! I don't think I'd get my boat that far up the creek either, looks quite shallow in places. Just bought a cast net so I might try there for some poddies and then check out how best to access the creek from land.

Cheers,

I've recently moved here from the USA, and have been fishing the area, land based, for a little over a year. The first creek I ever tried was Breakfast Creek; I cast out from a boat ramp not far down from the mouth at night using peeled prawns as bait. My bait wasn't in the water for a minute before something hit, and I pulled in a huge Mangrove Jack. It was the first one I had ever caught, and being from the USA I actually had to bring it home and do some internet searching to identify it. I fished for three more hours that night, and nothing. Went back to the same spot a few nights later, nothing. Again a week later, nothing. So I probably just got lucky with that first cast and haven't gone back there since.

Onion Pants,

He was probably the only jack in that area, its really dirty water up near there so its not the best habitat for jacks. Up further where the bike shop (kawasaki) is, theres heeps of old jettys/houseboats and high tide theres some alright spots.
    A mate of mines uncle had a fish up there one night, found a little hole with some concentrations of bait and got himself a jack a few bream and moses pearch

Cuzzamundi is dead right, they are in brisbane, but hard to find. Theres not to many of them so its probably best to catch and release the jacks if you get one. They reckon the brisbane river in 10 years will be a lot cleaner that you'll be able to catch more species and keep/eat them....at the moment i wouldn't be to keen keeping anything, some ######## used to pour gallons of some type of paint chemical into norman creek which flows into brisbane river in the east brisbane area at my school years ago and a science class did a test and bang, bloke got caught

The boarders at school used to have a field day up the creek catching little sharks/bream/catfish and you won't beleive it they got a jack one day to
    They are where you find them

Cheers
    Morty

What school was that Morty?

jackash
    Churchie mate, i finished last year though
    where do u go
    morty

HAha thought it might've been. BBC mate... I guess thats one thing your school has over ours.... i dont think our creek even has guppies .
    Cheers

onionpants,

mate that has to be the luckiest jack capture ive heard of!!! but a lotto ticket sir.

cheers,

cuzza

Soggy Sayo
    You poor barstard
    nah joking, i cant talk im a zoomer
    Cheers
    Morty