Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So...... What's your biggest Cobia?

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

So...... What's your biggest Cobia?

Some years ago I caught a Cobe from my boat. It put up one hell of a fight and went 20kgs on the scales. Last night I watched a video (admittedly an oldie) called "The Landbased Addiction" - Phil Atkinson and Grantly Gray. I have never seen such huge Cobes especially the one that was bitten off by a shark just yards away from the rocks. The head alone weighed 12 kgs and they estimated the fish to weigh 45 kgs! Has anyone in Ausfish Land caught one so big??? BEAUTIFUL FISH!!!!

Cheers

Dave

Re: So...... What's your biggest Cobia?

As far as cobia go, it's only average but it gave me a good work out. It was caught near middle rock, which is out off Bustard Head.

Roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

I got this one a couple months back on a trip with matt hill off here, he gaffed it which was half the battle it was over the 25kg scales and the gamefish est puts it at approx 30 but it sure felt heavy, and it wasnt in the air for long!

My PB was caught very recently at the top of the bay. One just a touch smaller was caught the previous day by crew so I had to return to try to redeem myself . I don't have a weight but I attached a tail to give an idea of length.
    Cheers, Jay

Good catch there Jay, I am yet to have the fun of a cobia, It must be that new boat you've got yourself It looks pretty good. Might have to come have a look whan I get home.
    Kendall

Dave saw that movie abot 5 years ago. I was gob-smacked at the size of the head. Did you like the bit where the boat was near his line and he was getting upset?
    My best is only 44 pound and that was a good fight. So the one Rob is holding would of tested him out.
    Jay when you go though the full transformation ring me and we'll make so good money at the circus
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

darryl_l

Biggest cobia only 16kg

Best fight with a cobia 12.8kg on 4kg mono

PB--36kg
    Trolled on red and white Reidys #Big Boss.
    400 m from 1770 bar 2 years ago.
    When I pulled that one up, another one followed it to the boat that would have been half as long again, we estimated it to be twice the weight, or very close to it, of this one
    That would have made it 150lb plus!!!!!!!!

Regards, Tony

I wonder how many fisho's end the battle early with a fish like the ones being held up by Rob and Agnes Jack, thinking they have been sharked

A guy I fished with up north once popped the line each time he felt too much power, assuming whatever he hooked had been gobbled by a grey coat. He was probably right 99 times out of 100, given the number of sharks around. But what if the 1 in 100 was.... This guy figured he was better off using the half day he'd spend fighting a 14 foot shark or two fishing for target species. Interesting issue I reckon.

Screaming Eagle
    I have seen it done a couple of times myself
    Probably happens heaps.

Regards, Tony

my biggest is only a baby.. around 19kg on a Terminator Snapback.... compared to the fish ive been catching lately.. it feels bloody small lol...

Tim
    p.s. 8kg line on spin

Sorry I have never caught a Cobia but me dad has and his biggest one was his only one that weighed at 26 pounds.

Josh
    Go mighty Broncos

Go Wallabies

My biggest Cobe is very close to 50kg (released not weighed). I have weighed one 45.5kg another at 41kg and 3 between 38-40kg.

The biggest was one was released as we allready had a smaller fish in the boat. And the 45.5kg fish was caught on 10kg line and took over 3 hours to land.

Most of my bigger fish were taken in 2001-02 off the Gold Coast during two consecutive seasons when each time I fished I caught at least 2 Cobes with the average size 25-30kg. Best session was 12 with the smallest 18kg.

I will try and scan a couple of Photo's of the Bigger fish to post up.

ok - Colorado has the biggest one or is that 4, 5, or 6

Red_Bull

Zeeke, that's not a baby, this is a baby .......

It went 7kg, and snaffled a trolled wolf herring meant for spaniards in the Whitsundays a few years back. The troll bait was not that much smaller than the fish. What a greedy bugger.