Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BIG FLATHEAD

BIG FLATHEAD

THIS FISH WAS CAUGHT ON A 30CM SEA MULLETT EARLIER THIS YEAR, HAS ANYONE KNOW OF ANY UNCONVENTIONAL TECHNIQUES OF CATCHING FISH LIKE THIS CONSISTANTLY?

Re: BIG FLATHEAD

Gday mate,
    What did you do end up doing with that fish, release or keep?
    Morty

looks pretty dead to me ... shame

AS I SAID I CAUGHT ON A 30CM DEAD SEA MULLET, I WAS FISHING FOR NOAH'S IN THE SEAWAY WHEN THIS THING CLIMBED ALL OVER MY LINE, A DOUBLE SNELLED 12/0 STAINLESS STEEL HOOK BURIED IN ITS GULLETT PROBABLY ISNT MY IDEA OF A FIGHTING FIT NEW START TO THE DAY SO YEAH, THE FLATTIE WAS KEPT.
    NOTICE HOW I MENTIONED "ANYBODY GKNOW OF ANY UNCONVENTIONAL WAYS OF CATCHING LIZARDS" THAT WAS THE ANGLE OF THE THREAD! IM NOT A REDNECK TROPHY HUNTER.

DONT SPIT YA CHIPS!!! JESUS.

fishingnottake

where was it caught? and unconventional.. well i've pulle dup some monster flattys in the cast net

here we go again

Evans boy, watch the caps....it means ya shouting

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Hey Ev@ns Boy,

I didn't know your real name was Jesus???
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

OH No Poor thing you should have release it ... so it can breed ...... last time we caught 14 flatie over 70cm and i release them all so it can breed... never mind lucky me that i leted 14 flatie go ... Well next time let them go... for the best ....

Hey guys I release just about every fish I catch, but I think evans boy is saying he didn't target the big flatty it's more like the flatty caught evans boy, and he does mention that the way it was hooked with the 12/0 hook buried in its gullet may of meant that it was not in a real good way and was going to die.

Sure is a photo to show your mates though.

Tony

Your right evans boy, its a shame when you injure a fish your meant to let go ay, oh well its bad luck but great fish and great pic!

Cheers Joel

though it was law you had to release large flathead in Queensland no matter their health and in anycase the fish may of been able to disloge the hook after release or may of been able to keep on liveing with the hook untill the long time till a SS hook rusts out

oh well the damage is done now but nice fish anyway

Maybe he hooked it through the heart......!!! big hook 12/0

CHRIS_aka_GWH

what a beast - well done. The last time I saw something that big it had some blond guy on its back screaming crikey & telling his wife to get the tail.

I assume Evans means Evans Head

any interested Qlders - you can have one big girl (over 70cm) in NSW.

As with any big fish - big baits - fresh baits & movement.

Herring, mullet - a string of prawns.

Look for sand ledges, hollows & depressions near the deep water at bar entrances on the runout tide. If in a boat dfrift and bounce the livie with a decent sinker - #when you feel the bump back wind so the fish can inhale

Similar technique fron the shore - use the lifting tip of a 12ft rod. Lift, bump wind up the slack etc

Most big flathead are lost in close, they can be very lazy until you just about have your hands on them then they turn & accelerate.

Once again - nice fish.

chris

If you ask me we should have maximum size limits in NSW,
    Nice fish anyhoo,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by eV@Ns_BoY
    AS I SAID I CAUGHT ON A 30CM DEAD SEA MULLET, I WAS FISHING FOR NOAH'S IN THE SEAWAY WHEN THIS THING CLIMBED ALL OVER MY LINE, A DOUBLE SNELLED 12/0 STAINLESS STEEL HOOK BURIED IN ITS GULLETT PROBABLY ISNT MY IDEA OF A FIGHTING FIT #NEW START TO THE DAY SO YEAH, THE FLATTIE WAS KEPT.
    NOTICE HOW I MENTIONED "ANYBODY GKNOW OF ANY UNCONVENTIONAL WAYS OF CATCHING LIZARDS" THAT WAS THE ANGLE OF THE THREAD! IM NOT A REDNECK TROPHY HUNTER.

DONT SPIT YA CHIPS!!! JESUS.