Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: how to eat stingray

Re: how to eat stingray

OP,

they seem to show up when the flathead go off, maybe all the bits of chomped up bait bring them round. So pretend you are going for a flathead session. Keep throwing the flathead back until the banjoes and shovlenoses show up. Or you could change your mind and keep a few flatties too.

Gut the ray and keep the liver.
    Boil the flaps and scrape the meat from the cartilege
    squeeze out the water and boil again.
    Squeeze out the water and rub the liver through the meat
    roll into balls and simmer in coconut milk

This and variations of this cooking is the way Yolgnu people cook ray.
    Stick your barra and give me ray like this any day.

pete

Yeah Littlejim I find the same thing with the rays showing up all around Jacobs and the pin areas when the flathead go off the bite. Certainly no shortage of them around here.

Big Stingrays are always good fun trying to land. The disapointing part is when you finally get the ray to your boat on light gear just to find out that it's not that huge flathead you were expecting, but rather a very ugly Stingray....lost so many damn sp's and hooks!
    "Honey....you forgot to remind me to put the bung in....again!!"

I HAVE A FAIL SAFE METHOD OF DEVOURING OUR BELOVED STINGRAYS...
    YOU WILL NEED:
    1. A LARGE HOUSE BRICK
    2. A SMALL FRESHLY BEATEN STINGRAY
    3. A LARGE POT

FIRSTLY BOIL SOME WATER IN A POT, THEN ADD THE BRICK, THEN THE ,AHEM, STINGRAY. CONTINUE TO BOIL UNTIL THE RAY HAS COMPLETLY DISOLVED, (THIS COULD TAKE HOURS!) THEM DRAIN THE LIQUID THEN SERVE THE BRICK WITH A SIDE OF CHIPS, SPRIG OF PARSLY AND A WEDGE OF LEMON.

IF YOU ARE SERIOUSLY GOING TO EAT A DIRTY FILTHY FUC./KING RAY THAN YOU CANT CONSIDER UR SELF A FISHERMEN! THEY ARE THE RAT OF THE OCEAN!!! DIRTY FILTHY

dachamp

I avoid contact at all times been jabbed by one extremley painfull,would eat the bait or s/ps first.

I cooked one afew months ago out of curiousity and it was absolute oily garbage

PeterT you are on the money..... I have a very good friend up Mapoon Mission way who prepares Stingray in a similar way. She only boils the flaps once then chops the liver up and mixes it with the meat and a small onion chopped and simmers it in real coconut milk for about half an hour. This is a real treat and it is very tasty indeed. At a party one night a large bowl of these "fish balls" was devoured by a mob of tourists and mexicans who the next day would not believe that they had eaten "with gusto" stingray flaps.....cheers baldy

define normal looking??

G'day Onionpants

Re: your question for land based spots for Shovelies.

Look for areas of sand or mudflats at low tide.

This is where they will be when the tide comes in.

A spot you may want to have a look at is the sandy area facing the Brisbane river just as you cross the bridge at Fishermans Island.

Louis

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT
    Gut the ray and keep the liver.
    Boil the flaps and scrape the meat from the cartilage
    squeeze out the water and boil again.
    Squeeze out the water and rub the liver through the meat
    roll into balls and simmer in coconut milk

This and variations of this cooking is the way Yolgnu people cook ray.
    Stick your barra and give me ray like this any day.

pete

PeterT and Baldyhead, ---the secret is out! Those stingrays are superbly delicious if done the right way. I live up here on Cape York and have eaten stingray the aboriginal way. I am spoiled as to what fish I will eat after living up here for 10 years, but I tell you the right stingray done right is hard to beat.

The one the Aboriginal people eat is the "Flattail". He is a drab brown colour and rarely grows over about 1 meter across. But the distinguishing feature is that he has a flat tail extending about 15 cm back from his body in a vertical alignment. The spotty ones can also be eaten provided they are nice and fat. The key to it is to get a fat one so the fat out the liver goes through the meat.

Boil the flap meat for 20 minutes or so. Scrape the meat off the cartilage with a fork. Then rinse the meat in clean water and squeeze it in your hands to extract the milky fluid. Do this a few times till the fluid coming off is clear. Then get the liver and mash it to a paste in your hands. Mix the liver in with the flesh and then fry it up. The few people around who have been lucky enough to taste this will tell you that this delicacy would sell for top dollar in any Sydney restaurant and the customers would be lining up for more.

But the secret is to get a flat tail and one that is plump. The Aboriginal people wade out into chest deep water in crocodile infested places to spear these delicacies. I wouldn't go that far . But they are bloody nice.

hole punch, cut off skin and sear both sides. add garlic and sweet chili sauce then serve to people you don't like lol
    Regards
    Rob

I took my two boys and son in law camping last year on the condition they looked after them selves food wise. I got tired of baby sitting them all on trips away and as the missus was staying home I thought it was time to wean them off the tittie. Well they caught no fish and they were all to lazy to duck up to the shop and pick up a tray of snags for back up so when we got back to camp that night they had nothing to eat that night and were starving, Well they caught a ray and decided that was there dinner, They cleaned it , cooked it, took one bite each and thew the rest in the river so Im not in a hurry to try it.

land_based

IF YOU ARE SERIOUSLY GOING TO EAT A DIRTY FILTHY FUC./KING RAY THAN YOU CANT CONSIDER UR SELF A FISHERMEN! THEY ARE THE RAT OF THE OCEAN!!! DIRTY FILTHY
    evans boy, you are a boofhead, the bloke is jsut asking if they're ok to eat, no need for a reply like that.
    a fair few people on here have also eaten them, i guess they can't call themselves fisherman either!??

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

You are not going to last long on here with that sort of direspectful arrogant attitude Evans Boy. Pull your head in while you still can!

Dave

i lived in bamaga for a few years and the locals there would cut the meat from the flaps, marinate it in brown vinegar with raw onion and eat it raw. beautiful with beer and bread in the afternoon