Thread: catching/cooking mud crabs

markpeta

Re: catching/cooking mud crabs

Cook them in salt water, just take a bucket full home with you (not adding salt to freash water) When cooling down do it as quick as posssible in an ice slurry this will pull the meat away from the inside of the shell.

Mark

Instead of boiling them try this way.
    Lift the top shell off and clean away gills and mustard.
    If you insert thumb in vent( ) twist sideways it should lift the top off.
    Put some sweet chilli and lemon juice in stomach cavity, and parcel wrap in aluminium foil, place on BBQ right way up and cook for 10/15 minutes or so.
    Eat when cool enough,
    I havent boiled a crab since someone put me on to that one.
    Paul
    Paul McNaught

I always drop them in an ice slurry as soon as i catch them. Puts them to sleep, and prepares the flesh for cooking.
    Paul McNaught

brentasauros

good..tips..thnx......

catching/cooking mud crabs

HAVE had some advice on catching and and cooking mud/sand crabs..............can anyone suggest the best ways to catch and cook. Drown them? Cook them in fresh water, then flush them in salt water? Is 11 minutes cooking the secret?.................

freddyfish

A mate of mine always cleans his crabs before cooking them. I reckon they taste cleaner but definately dont look as good as getting em out whole. I love the smell of the water once a few muddies have been cooked.

Cheers
    Brad

Im not sure if it was just me but I got a nice catch of crabs last weekend, cooked them up and we ate them a few hours later when they had chilled. The next day there was 2 claws left in the fridge and I ate them and they were twice as tasty as the day before. ( Not that they werent really nice the first day)

As hard as it may be to do try leaving one overnight and try it.

The easy way for me is ice slurry crabs for at least 15 or so minutes
    I have a large container to boil the water add cup of salt and smallhandful of brown sugar
    Bring the water to boil drop in crabs keep the heat on at least 20 minutes
    When you take the crabs out clean and eat while still warm yummy
    I have tried the BBQ crab only by cleaning the crab then adding garlic to both halves ,with the nippers crack open pushing in the garlic then onto the bbq mmmm
    Love my mud crabs sorry they don't see the next day
    fresh only

cleaning crabs first before cooking makes them taste better if you do not want to go to that trouble drop them in a bucket of luke warm water this will clean them out and make them taste just as good just make shore you tie them up first or they will throw there--------- you no what i mean
    NOW I,AM GUNNA EATCHA

putting crabs in slurry kills them a special if damaged [bleed ] best possible is lay mangrove leaves etc between crabs ps if you have a damaged leg etc squeeze end crab will throw it no bleed i put mine in the freezer 100mins then hose off into boiling water slurry kills freezer puts them into a dose dont ask me why cheers

Derek_Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro
    putting crabs in slurry kills them a special if damaged [bleed ] best possible is lay mangrove leaves etc between crabs ps if you have a damaged leg etc squeeze end crab will throw it no bleed # i put mine in the freezer 100mins then hose off into boiling water slurry kills freezer puts them into a dose dont ask me why # # cheers
    Mangroves are protected so it's illegal to pick mangrove leaves. If you are caught with them you will be charged.

Cheers

Derek

bugger

mate after i catch a couple of muddies and im cruising home or 2 my next spot i get out a meat cleaver i bring with me and cut em in half. while im still movin ahead at a slowish pace i lean ova the side and wash all the unwanted stuff outa the muddies (dead mans fingers etc.) works a treat!!!!! as for cookin em i usually make a fire and chuck em on the coals and cover em wen the fire dies down or just boil them.