Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poddy traps

poddy traps

whats the best bait to put in poddy mullet traps? im using the one's how its the net and u put the bait in a zipper bag. also where abouts should u place it like sand,rocks etc

thanks

Re: poddy traps

Only ever used bread, but now I just use a cast net

Good luck! You'll need it if you think you are going to attract poddy mullet into a trap with bait. Might work down south with the sand mullet but wont work north of the border.

sellers of those traps should be charged with fraud never get any mullet in mine only prawns

sellers of those traps should be charged with fraud never get any mullet in mine only prawns

I only ever use bread, try stuffing heaps of it in the trap, but we are south of the border, even in Ballina its not as easy as it was on the central coast (Gosford ), Muzz.

I only ever use bread, try stuffing heaps of it in the trap, but we are south of the border, even in Ballina its not as easy as it was on the central coast (Gosford ), Muzz.

heaps of bread...u may wanna give the trap the flick...just use an old plastic container with a hole in the lid or flyscreen wire...tip is to make sure the top/or entranc ehole is only just below the surface.....u can even use old fluro lights in the right spot

MATE OF MINE USES AN ICECREAM CONTAINER ,CUTS A HOLE IN LID 5CM ROUND ,PUTS A BREAD SLICE INSIDE AND COVERS THE HOLE WITH IT AS IT FILLS WITH WATER,PUTS IT IN ABOUT A FOOT OF WATER ,WATCHES AND WAITS TILL THE PODDIES JUST BREAK THROUGH THE SLICE WALKS BACK IN THE WATER AND BAGS ABOUT TWENTY OR SO.
    IVE CAUGHT THEM IN VARIOUS WAYS BEFORE BUT THIS ONE SPUN ME OUT .
    IF I HADNT SEEN IT I WOULDNT BELIEVE IT!

Commodore

I have been using the traps for years with 90% success rate, both south of the boarder and locally at Wynnum. I find the best results as follows: use a couple of good leads or rocks in the bottom to hold in position, minimal bread, say one piece 1” square in the middle of the trap and make sure it floats to the top, then I wet a piece and burley the entrances with my fingers causing a cloud of small particles flowing in and out of the trap. Move well away as they can see you and watch your shadow in the water. Once one goes in then a feeding frenzy should start. I would normally pull the trap 30 secs after this starts and would have anything from 3 to 12 fish at a go.
    Hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    Chong

are these traps the opera house traps????? or the clear tubs with two openings ?

Cheers Chris
    may you get a bend in your rod and your esky open often

mate the plastic tube traps are fantastic for flatty size baits in the right spot with berley i have had mullet wedged in the ends. or if all else fails move to qld and cast net, drag net, scoopnet or blow them out of the water with tnt ah i love it north of the border.

I just fish 'em out with a little bit of bread on a hook.

Hey walshy........I used one of those clear plastic traps awhile ago in a local creek. I put a little bread in it and set it and stood back. Three minutes later the mullet were packed in tighter than sardines in a can so if you find a spot frequented by those little denizens go for it mate............just dont fall in holding the bread.. or it will be poor walshy we never knew him well .

An old mate of mine just uses a clear plastic fish bowl (mixing bowl type) covered with a piece of fly mesh with about 50/60 mm hole in the middle, sticks a bit of bread in it sets it just below the surface - gets heaps (NSW)