Thread: Live Bait Jigging Basics

Live Bait Jigging Basics

Hi All,

I've decided to take the plunge and try for a few livies, but I don't really know how to go about it...

I've bought myself a couple of bait jigs, and been told a couple of spots to try, though just general areas.

Can anyone help me with:

What bait should I put on the jigs?
    What livies should I be targetting and with what?
    Are there any size/bag limits to be aware of in likely species?
    What depth should I be jigging in?
    What time/tide/current?
    Any specific spots in the (Moreton) bay?
    Any other suggestions?

At this stage I won't be investing in dedicated rod/reel, so I'll just be using a Berkely Dropshot (6'10") and a Daiwa Samurai 1500 (either 4lb or 8lb Fireline). I've got a few other options though - would I be better off with the light spinning 5'6" Ugly Stik I've had for years that isn't currently in service?

I'd like the baits primarily for bottom bashing, and possibly for tossing at macs/tuna...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Good luck,
    Mike

Re: Live Bait Jigging Basics

Mike - The easy answer is "Take me out on the boat, and I'll show ya!"

The other answers are:-

1) You don't need to put bait on the jigs.. The flashing & beads is usually enough. You can however add a small amount of prawn or squid for added attractant
    2) Slimies and yackas are the best usually. Beacons and reef drop-offs are a good place to start that are fairly reliable. If you have a good sounder, you shoul dbe able to pick up bait balls on the sounder.
    3) Not with Slimies & Yackas that I'm aware of
    4) Not too sure... I find they are usually just there... Beacons seem to be the most consistent.
    5) Beacons are definately the best option. Get in REALLY close, and drop the jig as close to the beacon as you can. Get it right down, then slowly "jig" it up and down. You'll know when you've got some
    6) Make sure you've got enough weight on the bottom to get it down deep. If there's not enough weight, it drifts away from the structure, and away from the bait fish... The jig needs to be in their face to get them.

You can just use a handline for bait jigs, or you could do what FishinMission does, and use a TLD25!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_Dan
    Mike - The easy answer is "Take me out on the boat, and I'll show ya!"
    Yeah, but what happens? You go and knock-back a perfectly good offer for Saturday. Luckiily, my handsome Scottish shoulders are broad and can take the insult. I'm also magnanimous enough to give you first-refusal on the next mission, and not relegate you to the bottom of the deckie-roster where you belong :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin_Dan
    You can just use a handline for bait jigs, or you could do what FishinMission does, and use a TLD25!
    I'm not that keen on doing anything Fishinmission already has. Your mumma springs to mind :-)

Thanks for the info mate, That'll get me started.

Good luck,
    Mike

fishingnottake

he's you on the good oil with that one, except i don;t really like braid for bait jigging, seems to pull the hooks easier, i use an old rex hunt 20 buck special with 6kg mono and have never run into an issue. for the weight you can;t go wrong with those berkley burley weights you get at big w.