Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking a homemade sandfly repellent recipe

Re: Seeking a homemade sandfly repellent recipe

Vaseline , metho & ti-tree oil, equal parts, is a bit sticky but it works. Muzz.

Baby oil 90% lavender oil and eucalyptus oil use good quality and add enough to scent the oil.

A bit of sorbalene would probably be a good touch too.

Will a diet high in vitamin B protect you against mosquito bites?
    Not a shred of evidence supports this myth.

We could find only one study that looks at the possibility of vitamin B in the diet and mosquito immunity — and it found no mosquito immunity.

Mozzie experts say mosquitoes are attracted to our body odour, skin temperature, the amount of carbon dioxide we excrete and chemicals produced by microbes on our skin. If there are enough mosquitoes around, such as if you live near a swamp, anyone will be bitten. But if there aren’t so many, they may be choosier.

Experts from the Queensland Institute of Medical Research believe that whether or not you’re a tasty meal option comes down to genetics. Factors that make you attractive to mosquitoes — being big-boned, heavy, sweating a lot, not having much hair, and how much you react to mosquito bites — may be genetically determined, based on recent comparisons between identical and non-identical twins’ perceptions of mosquito bites.

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle...tid=100008&p=5

My son and I regularly go crabbing to our favorite spot X which is sandfly heaven. they,re that thick they,re crawling thru your hair. We go to Woollies and buy some cheap pantyhose. They can,t bite thru them. A mate of mine has even gone to the trouble of putting one over the top as well. ps Just make sure you take them off befor you get back to the boatramp.

Cobar

Hoy Greggo!

"A mate of mine has even gone to the trouble of putting one over the top as well. ps Just make sure you take them off befor you get back to the boatramp." !!!!

WOW !!! #That would have to go without saying !

Thank you to all you top people for all your responses, I shall be arming my Mummy to the hilt with all recipes to combat these huge- jaw-like creatures. Though I'm told that it's not their bite that stings / itches and sends you gar gar . . . . . .

Cheers
    Jacq

This isn't a repellant recipe but if you do get bitten by em try having a really hot shower or bath (as hot as you can stand) until the bites stop stinging and they should be right after that.

After spending 5 weeks in Gladsstone over xmas I was able to put several remidies to the test

Baby-oil, dettol and citronella worked well but i found it to be a bit messy and required several re- applications.

Rid, bushmans and aerogaurd worked well on the mozzies but i think it attracted the sandflies

Vitamin B gets a deffinate thumbs up [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] as my son found out when he chose not to take any and was nearly eaten alive and my other son and i were bearly touched but yes we still got bitten

And since my 2 boys and myself are allergic to bee stings we had on hand a bottle of ZYRTEC over the counter product but was recomended to us by the quack

After taking the recomended dosage we found that the bites we had copped had gone from nearly sending us around the bend to hardly noticable

Last but not least Black Vinyl hang strips of this a little away from campsite (experiment with different distances) it seems to attract sandflies as the colour blue attracts mossies

I never got to try the vinyl remidy but had seen this at a campsite I pasted at the narrows while i was there removing some dead trees for a mate and that was the theory given to me when i inquired

I hope this info can help you or any-one for that matter.

cheers Nino

PS if anyone tries the vinyl method can they let me know what they think and if it works