Thread: ...where do I start?

...where do I start?

I'm almost too embarrased to ask this question ...but what the heck....nobody knows who I am.
    I have never been a serious fisherman and so it's about time I learnt.
    So, how do I learn what equipment to use and where are the best fishing spots etc etc?
    I have just bought my first boat and will be using the ramps around Cleveland/Victoria Point.
    Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated (but please be gentle....it's my first time).

Horrie

Re: ...where do I start?

You can learn mostly everything right here.
    Have a read of the reports section and see what people are catching. If you lucky you might read what they used to catch their feed but if not, just ask.
    You can also read the saltwater and freshwater sections as theres plenty of info about what gear/bait to use for various species there.
    Shane

Heya Horrie

The more info you can give the better the feedback you will get. What size boat for starters? a 10ft punt would be best for creeks and rivers, a 20 footer might have you thinking about going further afield. Where you fish is going to have a big bearing on the fish you will be chasing and the gear.

Are you wanting fish to eat, that will try and rip your ams off, something to throw plastics at and release etc. Do you already have fishing gear? If so what size type (roughly).

ditto, be more specific and you'll get lots of help.

I joined Ausfish when i got my boat (Nov last year) - asked focussed questions and got a hell of alot back. Also use the search facilities and check previous posts - there's tons of stuff here

Welcome, by the way.

Catchy Fishy

Mate,

We all started somewhere. If you have to start at the beginning of a sport, you couldn't find a better one than fishing. Fishos are probably one of the most "mate conscious" groups of individuals you'll ever find.

Ask and you will receive - heaps.

PS I was one of the lucky ones who had a father that was himself a fisho, and a good teacher of fishing, boating, navigation,swimming, survival and the list goes on.

Horrie.
    Best time for heading out for a fish down there is early morning until about 9.

At this time Ramp space down there can be at a premium, so I would suggest the first few times you go down a bit later in the day, say around 10ish, ramp should be fairly quite by then. That way you will have lots of time to work out launching and retrieving ya boat, without 10 boats queued up watching you!

Having said that beware of south easterly's they tend to freshen up a bit later on in the day making things a bit lumpy. Until you get used to judging the weather, probably best to avoid days a south easterly is forcast.

The ramp at Victoria point near the coastguard is fairly well protected and easy to launch from, but because of all the "islanders" hogging trailer parking slots, parking can be at a premium. (The one place in the world parking inspectors are loved by fisho's is this ramp!, fisho's just love it when they book cars parked in trailer spots!, now only if they towed em!)

Best way to learn the best fishing spots is by the blowfly or seagull technique, putter around having a looksee, if you see anyone catching fish, or a congregation of boats, (which usually means they are catching fish) idle around to the upwind / uptide side of the group, (dont get to close or you might upset the fish 50 - 100m is ok), and drift down and see how you do. Mostly best to drift to catch fish, although you can drop the anchor if you get onto a good school of something.

I prefer handlines from a boat, but a lot of people like rods in the 6 to 8 foot range (to hard to hold a beer in my opinion). Get youself a few dillies as well, the old sand crabs can be a pretty reliable feed as well. (Once again the blowfly technique for putting out your dillies).

Make sure you've got all the necessary safety equipment, water and fuel to see the day through, and have a good time!

Welcome aboard.

You've made your most important find to date: Ausfish.

Stick around, listen carefully to the great advice, and don't be afraid to ask any specific questions.

Good luck,
    Mike