Thread: Moreton Bay Overnighter

Moreton Bay Overnighter

Hi All,

Now that I've started to get my confidence in the new boat up a bit, I was thinking of doing my first overnighter in the Bay on Friday. I'm pretty open on where to go, but is there anywhere in particular (generally speaking of course) that might be a good place to start, or should I just stick with the places I've been heading in daylight hours (Mud/Curtin)? I was thinking of maybe giving the Bulwer ledge a burl...

I wouldn't be sleeping, I'll be fishing all night, and hopefully more successfully than normal.

Lastly, are there any traps for new players that an overnight virgin should be aware of? I've checked the nav lights etc, and considered warmer clothes. Anything else?

Good luck,
    Mike

Re: Moreton Bay Overnighter

what species do you want to target?

2iar.
    The way the weather has been lately I don't think you will be alone or lonely if you are inside the bay.

The new moon is today and I was watching some bloke in a small tinny fishing on my reef last night. The hide of him. Good luck buddy bouncing you gizzards out last night in the dark off Margate.

Car and trailer security would be on the back of my mind. I don't know how to fix that one.
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by lippa
    what species do you want to target?

Nothing in particular mate, just anything worth catching and eating. I've got the gear to cover most species in the bay, light to heavier, I just wanted some advice on night time as opposed to the day time fishing I'm used to, and anything obvious that it involves.

Having said that, I don't fancy chasing macks or tuna schools in the dark. I'd like to anchor up in one or two spots and reel them in...

Good luck,
    Mike

I know when I go fishing at night I trick up my white light so that I am not blinded by it because it tends to play havoc on my eyes and give me headaches my light is in the stern,I also keep my nav lights on red & greens. some people have there all round white light above on helm or rocket launches, it helpes not to be looking through a light trying to watch your rods it makes hard to see them. What you can do to see your rods better is tape small glow sticks to the rod tips, this helps alot for watching bites. Be careful of the cargo ships you wont know they're there until thay are on top of you, These ship can make a big wake, being a new moon it will be dark so be careful when driving at night, the last thing you want is to be driving along in smooth seas and hit one of these wakes. This can cause alot of damage if not flip the boat.

Good luck with The fishing. If the fishing shuts down Tangalooma or Curtain is a good place for a sleep.
    Regards Biff

head to the spot you know best

Cheers best of luck

Greg

Thanks for the tips guys [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Wish me luck!

Good luck,
    Mike

2iar

all good advice above - lots of sheltered spots close to Moreton - should have lots of company - if not, ask why not, then move to where everyone else is (not too close) until you get confident to be alone - as a first trip would strongly suggest going 2-4 days before full moon - lots of light plus fishing is usually better - you can also comfortably come home at night if you want to (as I do ‘cause I’ve got an open c’console) - if you have the equipment you can also set up depth & position alarms on your sounder & GPS but give yourself some tolerance eg 3metre vertical & 50 metres horizontal - remember the boat will swing 180degrees on the tide change – suggest go to shallow water 3-5metres & away from the pack & highly trafficked zones for a sleep – about 3/4 days before full moon the high tides are around sunset/dark (also good time to fish) & are relatively small with less run so good to fish places that usually have big run eg Comby ledge, Curtain, Harry A etc – have better chance with burley for longer period – I find 50-100metres up-current of target area /structure with good burley trail is good strategy & is usually away from the pack – the fish will come to you with the right conditions - #a strong high white light is a must - even a temporary fluoro taped to a pole - good vis for you & other clowns who have no judge of distance - also attracts the squiddies - there’s something surreal about a cool clear night on the water with some good company & a nice red /rumbo (or whatever) - … fish? …what fish??? oh yeah – there are some snogers around these parts at night – BIG cod (according to reliable diver reports), sharks, rays (all unstoppables) mixed in with good snapper & the odd sweetie, parrot, cobia (make sure its not a shark before cutting off) etc etc – plus the pelagics at dusk & dawn – does it get any better than this for an inside bay location??

appreciate a PM after your maiden overnighter - good luck & enjoy

Mal M
    Haines Hunter 650 'Horizon' 200 4st Johnson (aka Suk DF200) call sign "Dozer" or "Uripper"

Ausfish Bronze Member

2iar,good question. I was thinking of doing the same thing sometime soon myself,& thats some good comments there 2 guys.thankyou 2 all.

Quote Originally Posted by uripper
    2iar

<snip>

appreciate a PM after your maiden overnighter - good luck & enjoy

Mal M
    Thanks mate.

If I get a chance, I'll write a report and let you know by PM.

Thanks again for taking the time. Let's hope the weather holds.

Good luck,
    Mike