Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sharks - Close Encounters & Near Misses

Re: Sharks - Close Encounters & Near Misses

fff

Not my story, but I was told by some guys they'd been rock fishing and were on the cliff face tossing surplus bait and bycatch into the water.

One turned and there was a 4 metre plus white shark onto of the water lifting it's jaw to catch the fish being thrown into the water.

I've also heard a lot of kayakers being "bumped" - probably by bull sharks.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

Ian just read your story bugger me thats close I would have passed out for sure , you are a better man than me in getting back in the water. I was up to my waste chasing bait with a cast net when about what looked to be a bull shark swam past he wasnt worried about me but there was slick left behind me.

Harry that is one sad story it makes you think hard about life. Those blokes were true mates to your dad , and all the best to your dad.

Used to paddle a canoe from Redland bay across to Garden Island every morning for a heart starter and although freaked myself a few times never spotted a shark. Moved to the g/coast on a canal and paddling (trolling a lure for lizards) one arvo just before dusk had had a few beers and all of a sudden I ran aground in the middle of the canal, crapped myself when I realised it was a shark. Missus didn't believe me until it happened to her. Needless to say she wouldn't get back in the canoe . Apparently they are attracted to the swirl created by the paddle.
    great thread, let's keep it alive.

awesome story man,loved it

i was fishing off hutchies last sunday on a 35 ft charter boat and someone threw a dead fish over the side,within minutes a hammerhead and tiger rose to the surface and followed our boat for about 2 hours,not one person geting bitten of tho.Anyway the sharks left the scene after a while and we continued fishing when all of a sudden a person next to me claimed they had something big and couldnt budge it.(the guys on the boat were very strict about leaving the drags on the overheads how they had set them,which was substantially tight) and the guys rod just ripped to $hit and all the fishing line came out like a birdnest everywhere,then the line went slack.Whatever it was would had to of been huge to do that to the rod considering our tight the drag was set.The guys on the charter said around that hutchies area there seems to be a local hammerhead estimated to be just over half the size of the boat.I dunno if its true or not but if its isnt there is something big down there to destroy that overhead.

Taken by my little feller so forgive the quality. Look out for the bite from the blind shark near the end

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=109590

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.