Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the biggest mangrove jack caught?

What is the biggest mangrove jack caught?

G'day fellas

Just wondering what is the biggest mangrove jack you or your mates have caught, & how did you catch it. I caught 1 this year & it was 38cm, so there is probably hugh monsters which have been caught out there. I caught mine on live poddy mullet at Baffle Creek.

Cheers
    Nick

markpeta

Re: What is the biggest mangrove jack caught?

I think the big boys live out on the reef have a look through the offshore reports.

I saw a picture in the local paper a couple of years back, a local had caught a mangrove jack on the Lennox 32s that went 14kg, 2kg above the existing record.
    Unfortunately, the guy concerned was not a member of a fishing club, & his incredible catch could not be "officially" recognized.

Muzz

Quote Originally Posted by mangrove_nick
    G'day fellas

Just wondering what is the biggest mangrove jack you or your mates have caught, & how did you catch it. I caught 1 this year & it was 38cm, so there is probably hugh monsters which have been caught out there. I caught mine on live poddy mullet at Baffle Creek.

Cheers
    Nick #

Tell everyone what you really caught it on nick ,
    go to morgons and have a look at the ones that catch from the reef, huge mummas!!!! we were in there a while back and i swear they were around the 80 cm mark if not bigger!!!

cheers matt

To Fishing 4 lIfe (my brother Matt)

This web site is for actual fishermen not amatures like you! & learn how to tie knots - remember who wins all of the fishing comps!

Cheers
    Nick

hahaha,

i remeber what happened the other night, wasnt it you who latch on to a nice fish and then loss it due to a know slipping, hahaha
    probably one of those be jacks your searching for!!!

matt

Personally ive caught them up to 25lb on the reef (wieghed accurately) #but they do get larger. This is a typical one...foxy

A 20lber caught off mooloolaba ...foxy

Hey fellas,

They are 2 AWESOME jacks!!! I dream of them in my sleep! How do they taste off the reef?

Cheers
    Nick

Hey dfox,

Next time you go out on the reef, can i jump into your tackle bag? I've been fishing for 3 years and I've caught 7 all up, a 50cm and a 38cm woth all of the rest being undersized. How many jacks - big and small have u caught all up?

Cheers
    Nick

biggest and only one i got was a 38cm-1kg at Johns Landing. Noosa, Qld
    It might not be that big but it won me the fishing club trip for juniors.

Got two at 65 cm in the Gold Coast Seaway while fishing for jew. Live slimies did the trick. Use braid as mono has too much stretch. Give 'em an inch and they'll reef you!

Caught this one out near Fitzroy reef on a live yakka.

Jacks can grow up to 1m and 12kg. You can imagine how big they will get in the impoundments.

dorado

Just outta curiousity, what are their edible qualities at those sizes?