Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the biggest mangrove jack caught?

Re: What is the biggest mangrove jack caught?

AAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW

You toadies get all the good fish. Need to adjust my post, that article must have been refering to NSW records, no way do we get fish like that, they are more the rareity.

Lucky buggers.

Muzz

RE: Impoundment Jacks,
    There used to be some big jacks in Awonga dam in against the wall but you couldn't get at them. A bloke did get one trolling for Barra in Awonga a few years ago I recall. That was a BIG fish but can't remember the actual details. I wonder if they went over the wall with the barra during those big floods? Quire a few were caught up the top end of the Boyne afterwards so I guess some did make it down ok.

There's a pretty hefty jack that lives at under water world. Yes it's in a tank but it's still nice to see one that size swimming around rather then hanging from a gaff.

Biggest jack on rod and reel was caught off brunswick heads 16kg the guy lives in byron bay and has it mounted with all the paper work attached
    ive tried attaching the photo but i dont know how?

The eating quality of the big boys is garbage anything over about 5 kg is rubbish IMO. The 50-60cm, 2-4 kg fish are gold off the reef though IMO.

Cheers
    JB

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/ass...0&d=1360821341

got out this one on a live Herring in the Maroochy River

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

Two years ago a mate and I were camping on southern end of north straddie and got a 58cm and a 59cm jack. Caught on fresh pike flesh. The pike was well over a meter.

It it was the first jack I've caught but a real let down. I had the rod sitting in the rodholder on the tinnie while we were up the bank cookin a feed. After the feed I grabbed my rod and reeled in what I thought was a log or clump of weed. It was just dead weight. To my surprise it was a bloody great big jack! He must of wore himself out while I was havin dinner so had no fight left in him by the time I got there.

Cheers Nic
    That's a nice fish you caught... Do you mind if I use it for bait.

Quote Originally Posted by johnverano View Post
    Biggest jack on rod and reel was caught off brunswick heads 16kg the guy lives in byron bay and has it mounted with all the paper work attached
    ive tried attaching the photo but i dont know how?
    His fish was denied a record as he gilled and gutted it prior to getting the paperwork done. I think it went 14.2kg Gilled and gutted.This is it after being taxidermed.
    big jack.jpg

good old darren cook I couldnt get the upload on the photos i have of his mounted fish.He had no idea about the record until he told a mate about how big it was

In saying that though, last season a few spear fisherman from Coffs got a couple of fish in the 15-18kg bracket that were taken had their frames donated to the NSW Mangrove Jack study.

I was lucky enough to land one off a small reef in about ten meters whilst trawling for Macks it went 74cm, it was sitting below the Mackarel picking off the scraps I assume, it took a Rapala X-Rap Magnum, Green with the green bib. Note that lure has also landed four Mackarel, the final Mack at 114cm managed to pull the through wire but it stayed straight and strong. I recently caught a Jack at 48cm up a creek. This time my mate and I were drifting flicking for Barra, my mate got his lure stuck on a mangrove root and motored in to retrieve it, I was flicking a white soft plastic in the middle of the creek when it hit. I think my mate scared it out from the roots and it to the oppotunity to have a feed on its way past. The reefy didn't taste much good at all not compared to a creek jack.