Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Barra in the brizzy river

Re: Barra in the brizzy river

street kid the fish ur thinkin about is the now thought extinct brisbane river perch, as for the threadies they are in there and i have personally seen 2 massive ones over a metre caught and have caught one 70cm myself, unfortunately they are few and far between...Carlos.

blue-mako

thats one fat barra for 89cms! haha

troy

in 1905 at manly wharf in sydney harbour a 1000lb black marlin wedged itself between two pier pylons chasing yellowtail kingfish. what do you know................
    damon

hussy

large snapper are still caught at whitepatch and under the bridge as well as mowong jew jack sweetlip parrot and there have even been red emporer and coral trout a few years back

Ern Grant mentioned catching barra in Pummicestone Passage (part of Moreton Bay) many years ago.

I spoken to pro prawners who have taken as many as 6 barra in their nets in SEQ in one night.

I spoke with some old fellows some years back from the Mt Crosby area. THey told me tales of netting big cod & barra in the river, was common practice when they were lads.

A big chance that there was some barra in Moreton Bay. However there is a weir on almost every river that feeds M Bay now. This is sure to be a big part in making some species that migrate between fresh/salt locally extinct. eg Jungle Perch

Now I've heard all the experts under the sun proclaim that barra werent ever in M Bay, due to the fact that there is no barra specimen in the Qld Museum (from M Bay). Fair enough then. But why do they generally agree that there were once Jungle Perch in every creek/river/stream in SEQ when there are no specimens in Qld Museum either? Nor is there a specimen on a Brisbane River Cod,,, So were these fish a myth as well??

Accedemia is so bloody narrow minded sometimes!!!!! I wonder if there isnt some agenda??

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au