Re: Best all-round saltwater bait

Here's my ranking
    1) live yabbies
    2) live beach worms
    3) live pippies
    4) live cunjevoi
    5) live crabs (moulters are best)
    6) live poddy mullet
    7) live tommy ruffs (south australia only)
    8) dead fresh squid

BTW I have caught a decent 41 cm Jack on yabbies..... now that makes you think hey?

I have used worms off shore - but only caught grinners and squire

fishingnottake

wheres the best place to get fresh squid? short of catching it yourself?

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by fishingnottaken
    wheres the best place to get fresh squid? short of catching it yourself?
    Make mates with someone on a trawler

Tuesdays seems to be the freshest at Morgans, and Thursdays at Raptis. Worth the extra if you're buying retail to have it fresh. Any shop you look at, it should be silvery/white although a touch of pink is acceptable. Any red/maroon/brown and it is on it's way out. I've found it to be pretty fresh at some retailers.

If you're struggling, try the frozen pre-packed occy from Coles or Action, although not as good as fresh squid it is preferable to the squid they sell as bait and stays on the hook better if there are pickers around.

kev

Beware the man who slaps you on the back - he is probably trying to make you cough up something.

redspeckle

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] To Squid (fresh is better) catch Snapper to Whiting on the stuff and to any live legal bait as well
    Mitch
    Have a Nice Day

wiseguy67

Tuna
    live yakka
    live Gar or dead works a treat
    Mullet dead or kicking for hours
    squid

live pike
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

The best way to catch squid is simply keep a light on at night with a jig out the back. Open water current lines the best. Dicer, all fresh squid will be dead. I haven't met anyone that can keep em alive longer then a minute.

wa pillies or tuna chunks...

fresh white fleshed fish strips go nicely too... (preferably by-catch from fishing earlier in the session)

just try to emphasize the dead versus living thing....live bait is the best, because it will be dead soon anyway

Spear gun. Don't ya wish you had one for those day when your fishing and the likes of cobia and mackeral come swimming up the back of the boat and won't take any offerings

[quote author=Mick link=1141280181/30#37 date=1141783735]The best way to catch squid is simply keep a light on at night with a jig out the back. Open water current lines the best.quote]

Does anyone know if this method works in the estuaries. We often fish within sight of the bar in the Clarence at night.

Excuse my ignorance if suid don't come up there, but you never know if you don't ask.

By the way I have have to agree squid are one of the best all round baits, but can be hard to get fresh when you don't live at the coast and just up on holidays. Live yabbies have to win for any estuary work though, as already stated, they'll get you anything from Whiting to Jewfish and it's hard to beat the price Also gives you something to do at low tide with the kids.

wayne_cook

small pieces of cuttletish legs about 20 cent piece size.Especially when other pests keep stealing fresh fish bait (tuna,slimey etc.)
    Cuttle is harder for pests to remove from hook.Keeps better than squid.Only need one 2/0 hook.(agree fresh squid is great to.
    Never go to sea without a couple of legs.
    Cheers

bear.

live blood worms

Three words
    Yabbies, Yabbies, Yabbies

Remember we're talkin' ALL ROUND bait.

Did I also mention Yabbies