Thread: Boyne/Tannum Hookup, a sellout

Boyne/Tannum Hookup, a sellout

Hi fokes,
    I hear the Boyne Tannum Hookup being held over the Queens birthday long weekend is another sellout, many weeks in advance.
    The organisors are thinking about applying for an extension to the current 3000 entries next year, perhaps allowing a further 500 to 1000 entries (4000 overall), they may even change the venue from Bray Park to accomadate the huge crowds.
    This is the biggest comp, entry wise, within Queensland.

I'm wondering how anglers feel about the potental increase in entrants and the changing of the venue to somewhere more central like Gladstone city.

How about that cruise craft 575 up for grabs this year, unreal.

Re: Boyne/Tannum Hookup, a sellout

Sorry Barradise, the cruise craft already has my name on it , and the young bloke is after one of the junior boats as well. Don't want to be greedy though

If they allowed the extra fisho's, they'd have to hold it in Gladdy as the accommodation at Boyne /Tannum sure wouldn't handle it. We got in with our numbers being in the low 1300's and got about the last available room after the mate rang around for 2 days.

Just a question though; of the 3000 registered fisho's, how many do you reckon have bought multiple entries just to get a better chance at the major prizes? Me and mine haven't, but I know of others who have.

Might see you there!

Geoff

I'm in.

I got my entry sent out cause I was in it last year also. # I know a couple of people who have multiple entries, but not a lot. # Also they were worried this year that because the Frieday was not show holiday, that a lot of kids wouldn't enter. # I was in Pats last night and one of the committee was in there picking up some of the prizes. # He was shocked that they got the 3000 entries so quick, and that the number of kids entires hadn't dropped.

There was no talk of opening the numbers up further. # It is set at 3000 and that's it.

As to the change of location, Bray park is not to bad a location. # There is still a little bit of room to expand, but not much. # If they move it to the Marina, then they will be fighting with Gladstone City council, so more headaches and costs.

I'll be there, and I hope to catch up and meet a few more people from Ausfish.

I have put the call in to Steve to get hold of the Ausfish banner soas we can put it up as a rally point.

See you there.

Harry
    I love the sound of reels screaming in the morning

It's going to be our first one Harry and the family is soooo looking forward to it. We've been told it's an absoloute ripper, and being close to home makes it even better.

Accommodation was the only hard part, so I don't really know how they could extend the numbers anyway! I'm pleased there is no sign of extending it.

Hope to catch up with a few of you at an Ausfish rally point.

Geoff

Hi Harry,

I can remember DAG's in the local rag saying that the commitee was floating the idea of trying to get more entrants because of the early sellout and they were also considering another venue site.
    Would that be so bad if they made these changes considering the greater number of entries come from Gladstone.
    The multiple entries per angler to give more of a chance at winning a draw prize has long been a sore point with some people as the comp is supposed to be about the fishing, not a raffle.
    Some years ago, a bloke won the major boat prize after purchasing heaps of tickets but times have changed and two tickets is it now.
    No other comp in Australia to my knowledge allows multiple entries and seeing as some people are missing out, perhaps the comp organisors should look into this further or is it more about securing the bucks nowadays.
    John

Hi CQHornet,
    You'd be right about that, it wouldn't be the Boyne Tannum Hookup.
    Would that be so bad if it reflected a more regional title, considering the bulk of people in the hookup come from Gladstone and the facilities their are larger and more deverse, ie; where the habour fest is held for example?
    It would also take the event out of down town Boyne Island residential area and make car parking easier and much closer. I'm sure tackle World and the major boat prize sponsor at the Marina wouldn't mind a bit.
    Just a thought with Bray Park now bursting at the seems.
    John

Bump
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

DNO40

Wouldn't be the Boyne Tannum Hookup if it was held in Gladstone !

DNO

otleyj

John,

I made it in by the skin of my teeth - #2955. I reckon it wouldn't be the same if it was run in Gladstone. Too big and too impersonal. Being held right next to a boat ramp is a big plus as you get to check out the bigger rigs as they come in. You also can't beat the atmosphere of 3000+ people jammed into Bray Park. Might be pretty hard to control if it got any bigger.

Joel

DNO40

I have to agree with you Joel. Everything has it's limit and for the Hookup I think 3000 is adequate.

I also enjoy the throng of 3000 people plus jammed into Bray Park. So you may have to park away a little ....... The walk does most of us good.

Looking Forward to another great year, see you all there.

DNO

DaveSue_Fishos_Two

I hope it stays at Boyne. That is it's home, where it began, and where we all supported it from. Gladstone people had no trouble travelling down then so what's their problem now.
    As has been said, it is special to be able to have such an event right on the water's edge and right beside the ramp. I hope the organisers never shift it, and it's yearly promotion has really exposed Boyne and Tannum tremendously.
    Well done to all involved!

Cheers

Dave

Great feed back, Guys.

Some very valid points have been made and I'm sure the Hookup committee is watching this debate with interest.
    Keep the comments coming, which ever direction you think the Hoookup should take in the future.
    John.

3000 limit and Bray Park its Birthplace is where it belongs..Keep the traffic outa Gladstone ..
    Cheers

Yeah i think that is a silly idea it would'nt be the Boyne Tannun Hookup any more

Pup