Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what happened to wa pillies?

Re: what happened to wa pillies?

Quote Originally Posted by Silent
    I have ordered my 1st box of blue pillies and picked up around cannon hill (saved the delivery fee) thanks my work's closer...
    I'm very happy with them cos so fresh & alot cheaper but no idea if they are import or not as long I do care about fishing

Cheers
    Silent
    Hey mate where abouts in cannon hill is this place?

Cheers

Nick

Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Silent
    [
    I have ordered my 1st box of blue pillies and picked up around cannon hill (saved the delivery fee) thanks my work's closer...
    I'm very happy with them cos so fresh & alot cheaper but no idea if they are import or not as long I do care about fishing

Cheers
    Silent
    Glad to help, Silent.
    That's what this forum is for, to help eachother out.

Flash

[/quote]
    Hey mate where abouts in cannon hill is this place?

Cheers

Nick

[/quote]

Here's the link again http://www.##########.com.au/store/index.php

Flash

Quote Originally Posted by moondancer
    My usual bait shop reckons he can only get the USA pillies at the moment - strange seeing as how the bay seems to have some reasonable runs of what some of the pros are calling sardines! (they look and smell just like a pillie, but bigger!)
    Pillies are sardines are pillies. If they're not netting them, good!
    I'd rather deplete America's stocks of baitfish than ours.

Thanks Aussie , will check them out on my way down to hastings

Thanks Flash, wasn't sure if he was talking about the same shop or not

I was told by a mate two weeks ago - that our pilchards are now being sold as sardines for human comsumption overseas and the value to the exporter is much more than for bait.

That was the answer he was given when he asked where are the WA Blue Pillies.

Phill

Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Strike
    Thanks Flash, wasn't sure if he was talking about the same shop or not
    No prob.

yep, sardines fromWA, round tins,being exported. Cant find them in the shop, but saw a doc on them some time back.
    Also ,our mullet, is loved by the Japanese, eating everything, including the onion. No more cheap mullet either?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dnej
    Also ,our mullet, is loved by the Japanese, eating everything, including the onion.

A couple of years ago it seemed that bait packs of mullet gut never contained the onion but I bought a packet of mullet gut a couple of weeks ago from the bait shop at the BP Garage at Manly and it was the mullet gut of olde complete with onions.

Flash

Quote Originally Posted by dnej
    Also ,our mullet, is loved by the Japanese, eating everything, including the onion.
    David
    The buggers'll eat anything. I wonder if they'd buy toadfish?

Oh, hang on, that's fugu.

Carp? Yep.

Eels? Yep.

Talapia? Yep. I saw talapia for sale at the Sydney Fish Markets. Advertised as talapia too.

Not sure if it is still the case, but I thought our pilchards were under threat due to the huge amounts being fed to the tuna in the South Australian tuna pens.

This had pushed up the price as they feed them by the cubic metre, pallet loads at a time, day in day out.

- Darren

Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Mr__Bean
    Not sure if it is still the case, but I thought our pilchards were under threat due to the huge amounts being fed to the tuna in the South Australian tuna pens.

- Darren
    Could be. Pillies retail at about $3.50 per kg and 10 years a properly prepared tuna went for $100 per kg.
    The flesh had to be alive at the time of eating.
    It was retailed at a hell of a lot more than that.

i know this is a tad late but still interesting reading;;;;;;

Little Fish,, Big Future

tens of millions of dollars are being invested in the port lincoln based sardine fishery, from catching and onboard handling to shore based value adding and market developement

despite a recent quota cut, it remains australia's biggest fishery by volume and its access rights are amongst the most tightly held

just 8 operators own all 14 licences, each licence currently comprises 1818t of transferable quota,, an interim figure, down from last years 3650t, pending a review of the fishery science,,the self made individuals who sign the cheques could seat themselves around a single table

they include sam sarin, founder of AFE, the nations biggest quota owner in the southern blue fin tuna, and south east trawl and long line fisheries

AFE owns 4 of the 14 entitlements and has signalled its confidence in sardine developement by spending more than $20m to build the 47m purse seiner APOLLO S and equip its smaller MARIA LUISA with plate freezers

the Apollo's refridgerated brine tank will hold 320t of sardines, but an average nights fishing is more like 100t-120t

these sardines go directly to the tuna farms as premium fresh feed

the Maria Luisa can freeze all or part of its catch,,its plate freezers allow sardines to be transferred into blocks to our onshore freezing facility at optimum quality to guarentee continuity of supply to the tuna farms

for both vessels, dedicated sardine fishing begins after they have caught AFE'S SBT quota in the Great Australian Bight

Sardines As Seafood

like other sardine quota owners expanding their businesses along similar lines,,AFE sees great potential in sardines as seafood and has taken the first steps to develop markets in australia and overseas

we've got our individually quick frozen (IQF) fish on restaurant menu's in Bris,,Syd,,& Melb and we are looking to sell a modest 200t in 20kg IQF packs in the first year

these fish are caught by AFE'S smallr vessels,,, up to 25m each,,each aiming for a nightly catch of about 20t,, with the seafood component gently lifted from nets by low volume pumps and transferred quickly ashore for snap freezing in salted brine at -10C

this thread goes on a bit here, but one interesting chapter re ""export potential"" reads;

the rationale for directing as much of the catch as possible to the seafood sector is irrestible,,,,as tuna feed, the fish are worth perhaps 45 cents/kg,,, as seafood $3/kg

the newly named sardine, (formerly known as the PILCHARD),, scientists are still unsure whether the australian species is Sardinops neopilchardus,,or S. sagax,, but by changing its name has been hailed as a victory for commercial commonsense,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

there ya have it,,,,,all the good stuff is now $25/plate at your local seafood restaurant,,,the majority goes to tuna farms,,,,at the cr#p is bait,,,,,

the article i read this in is dated feb 2006,,,has a nice pic of a pillie,,,nice pic of the Apollo,,, what happens when they rename the turtle i wonder????????

can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Is there any risk of introducing disease and affecting our local pilchard stocks when using imported pillies?