Thread: Gold Coast Flathead Classic

Gold Coast Flathead Classic

G'day everyone.

I was thinking about entering the flathead classic later in the year for the first time. The website is not quite up to date and i was wondering if anyone has fished it before and what they thought. Specifically i was wondering if anyone could tell me what the fishing boudaries are, what the rules are and how does the point system work. Do you get any points for non flathead catches etc.

Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks

keen_as_mustard

Re: Gold Coast Flathead Classic

JackHunter,

I have fished the Classic the last three years and will be fishing it again this year. This is a great comp and is as relaxing or as serious as you want to make it. All major prizes are lucky draw so you don't even need to catch a fish to win a prize. They do have prizes for biggest fish (about 6 different species) and a few other categories (most metres, most caught, etc) and these are usually a trophy and smaller prize.

The fishing boundaries are huge - from the overhead powerlines at Russel Island (north boundary) down to to the Pacific highway bridge in the Nerang River (south/west boundary), the Seaway/Pin bar (east boundary).

General rules are all fish over 40cm must be photographed on the official ruler. Fish can only be caught with lures/flies only. You have to record size, lure used, geographical position, etc of all fish caught and submit these sheets at the end of each day.

Fishing time is from 6.30am to 4pm Thurs and Fri, and 6.30am to 12pm Sat.

Points are allocated by size - under 40cm are worth 5 points, legal fish are worth much more (starting at 40 points from memory) with each cm over 40 worth more points. Basically the emphasis is on more medium size fish, rather than a few big fish. You do not get points for species other than Flathead. Teams can be two or three members.

Entry gets you a tournament shirt, bag of sponsors product, dinner for Wed-Fri and lunch on Sat. So you basically get the full value of the entry fee back in product and food.

Hope this gives you the info you are hoping for. If you have specific questions, they can be answered here. This is a fun comp and a great way to meet fellow anglers.

Hope to see you at the Classic (Oct 4-7) - make sure you come and say g'day if you do come along.

Marty

Hey Marty

Thanks heaps for your reply, that has been very helpful. Will definately be there and shall say g'day. Will let you know our team name a bit closer to the event. Just regarding the points system, is the boat score just a general aggregate of individual points, or do they take into account the number in the boat.

Eg. Total Points 1500 for boat with three, therefore team score is 500.

Cheers
    Mitch

keen_as_mustard

MItch,

Team score is a total of each anglers score. Therefore if your team has three (rather than two) you are more likely to get a higher score, in theory anyway! Although I believe this year there may be a trophy for the highest scoring two man team this year.

At the end of each days fishing the scores are all worked out and the results are listed for individuals, teams, longest of each species, etc. Basically every category that has a prize will have results printed at the end of each day.

My team is JAM - we will be 3 members for the first time this year.

See you there

Marty

There are some MONSTER flathead out towards the Pin area at the moment... We released about 4 that would have been in the 60-90cm range on Saturday!

Hi
    I am intrested in this classic
    How do i sign up though? and do i need to take my boat
    Thank you

keen_as_mustard

jpart10,

The flathead classic website does hold some info re the comp:

http://www.flatheadclassic.com.au/

Even though it says the entry forms are not out yet, if you like let me know your email or postal address and I should be able to get one to you straight away.

This is a teams event (2 or 3 anglers per boat) so someone on your team needs to have a boat. If you don't thave people to fish with, I'm sure we should be able to round a team up for you. Last year a guy signed on the night before the comp - they made an announcement and within 2 minutes he had two or three offers. The advantage of signing up earlier is the guarantee of getting the right size shirt!

Regards

Marty

Hey guys,

Like Marty said, pretty soon you'll be able to download entry forms the the Gold Coast Sport Fishing Club web-site. You can also get them at Doug Burts Fishing Tackle shop now and hopefully by the end of the week you'll be able to get them from most of the tackle shops on the Coast as well as some of the bigger ones in Brisbane.

Also if you PM Marty_Z, myself or Cloud 9 we can email you entry forms as well.

I am looking forward to this years comp (as much as I have the last three I have fished - I am also on Team JAM).

This year is shaping up pretty well as far as prizes go. 1st seniors prize is a Mako Craft center or side console with a 40hp E-tec. Ist Juniors prize is a Mako Craft car topper and a Johnson outboard. And don't forget you don't even have to catch a fish to win these prizes as it is a lucky draw for all the major prizes. As soon as we have pics of the prize boats we'll post them up.

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by jpart10
    Hi
    # I am intrested in this classic
    Thank you
    This person has some explaining to do.....

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...num=1149493041

I wouldn't be signing this one up for any comps. Level of integrity looks to be 'below sealevel'

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    [quote author=jpart10 link=1149237188/0#5 date=1149507096]Hi
    # I am intrested in this classic
    Thank you
    This person has some explaining to do.....

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfis...num=1149493041

I wouldn't be signing this one up for any comps. Level of integrity looks to be 'below sealevel'

Jeremy[/quote]

Interesting fellas...........................

Rich