Thread: fishign spots at stradbroke island

fishign spots at stradbroke island

hello ausfishers,
    heading out to straddie on the holidays, and staying at amity point for a few nights
    was wondering if there any good landbase other than amity jetty
    also are there any fishing holding up in brown lakes and the blue lakes, cause we'll be exploring and wouldnt wanna miss any opportunity for fishing.
    thanks tri

Strike_Zone

Re: fishign spots at stradbroke island

Haven't had a fish on straddie in a loooong time (mainly offshore these days), but from what I remember the top spots were as follows:

-amity spit just a little south of jetty(bream, whiting, flathead)

-amity rock front, anywhere. (luderick, bream)

-dunwich, near jetty off rocks in front of mining facility (bream, squire)

-dunwich jetty (bream, squid, have caught golden trevally off jetty before)

-dead man's grotto, find a gutter if there's one (bream, tailor, dart)

-main beach, find a gutter (bream, tailor, dart, whiting, my grandfather caught a 50cm summer whiting off this beach once)

Ask the locals though, they're always pretty helpful. I'm sure these spots would still yield some decent results, maybe not as good as back in the day though.

Good luck anyways mate.

Hi Tri Kun I fish straddie a lot mainly up at point lookout pm me let me know what sort of fishing you do and I'll be happy to help out

ps forget about the fresh never fished it but my book on straddie says the freshwater fish are tiny ie fish bowl size. plus everything tastes better with salt

point lookout was good fishing years ago

cheers
    rossco

Hi Tri
    I get to Straddie at least half a dozen times a year.
    Stay at a mates place near Amity Bungalows.

This time of year you should get plenty of bream of any of the rocks at Amity. Low tide early afternoon this weekend,. That means..
    In the truck, over to Main beach down from Pt Lookout and fish the holes and gutters sometimes all the way to the Pin. Mostly only get as far as the causeway to Dunwich. Although the further south we go the more tailor we seem to find, sometimes.
    Tailor....Hour before dark, Flinders beach straight of the track from Amity.
    If the gutter is alright.

Ill be at Amity from friday morning till monday, might run into you.

Love loooong weekends.

Have fun.
    My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

hello guys thanks for the help, much apprecitated, it doesnt matter wat species we catch, just wanna explore the place and fish for a feed, kinda camp it outback style but staying is cabins.

moverman the rest of the crew and myslef are going during the 25-28th so probably dont get the chance to meet, but would be nice though to fish with other aus members.

and about point look out, do you mainly fish of the rock area right next to the beach, unless there other rock areas, cause im not familar with the place.

also we probably wont be fishing off the long rench of beach, cause we dont have a fwd to travel around, so it our lost, but there are still plenty of other places.

but will ask local of more imformation.

thanks aus member

Hi Tri

You can drive a normal vehicle to the end of the gravel road at Amity.
    Same deal at Flinders. Both roads end right on the beach. Take a chair, a few cold ones and oh, a fishing rod.

Take the road from Dunwich, past Brown and Blue lakes and you can drive right to the top of the first dune. A couple of hundred yards right or left should find a decent hole or gutter.

DONT go on the keyhole track with a normal vehicle. I was through there before easter. I swear I ran over the top of a Patrol in one of the potholes. Well, some use for them other than an artificial reef.

Have fun
    My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.