Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sea Mullet Slaughter

Re: Sea Mullet Slaughter

flatstrap...seems like you need to join a greenie group..or have u had journalistic training..they use lines like "pull in the last mullet"..spare us that.

rape and murder huh ? never seen a fisho trying to rape a fish...people...ones living NOW..want to eat fish...not go without so that some still yet to come can have it...people want it now.

If you feel so strongly about this then you need to stop ALL fishing..not just the mullet..who is to know if the fish in the end of your line is male..female..spawning or not...start the BAN FISHING GROUP or something similar...it is hypocritical to have a go at someone for catching fish and then go and do the same yourself. There is no such thing as "environmental" fishing...as soon as you put your boat in the water you are affecting the environment...u hook a fish..stuffed its day well and truly..as for C&R..how many fish still die from that??? Then there is the train of thought that fish feel pain (personally I am nto one of them) but if you believe that, then your are partaking of a blood sport...torturing an animal for your pleasure.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Clint06
    [quote author=flatstrap link=1149325639/0#0 date=1149325639]
    Another point is that the fisho's are pandering to overseas visitors' taste of fish roe and to hell with the rest of the fish's body as the rest of the article says if you don't like the fish, "just use them in your crab pot".
    Although i dont agree with netting at all i thought that the fillets were sold for human consumption and even the gut for bait. I was under the impression that most of the mullet was utilized for either food or bait with not much wasted.
    Does someone know what actually happens the the rest of the fish after the roe is taken out?
    Clint[/quote]

It used to sell at the hypermarket gympie rd (Coles) for anything from 99c to $1.50 a kilo.....maximum of 3 week run. They called them "mullet barrels".........full body minus head and gut.

kev

The truth will set you free...but first, it will make you miserable

The people that control the harvesting of natural resources are the DPI. If you have issues with how when and where a resource is harvested the best person to vent your spleen on is the Minister whose portfolio includes the DPI.

I suspect there is someone on this board who can name that Minister ( sorry I dont know who it is) .
    Depletion of resources is a very emotive topic , and I have gotten passionate about it too.
    Lets put a combined effort into effecting change. If everyone who is concerned for the future wrote to the Minister and asked for changes to be made, then things will be addressed. the trick is to send a consistant message . Its no good asking for a dozen different solutions, that only creates confusion.
    By all means debate the necessary changes here , then tell the minister what you want to happen.
    While I agree that taking spawning fish is a dangerous practice , the sale of the roe is the "value proposition" for the fishers so I suspect that changes to that practice will be vigorously opposed.

NSW successfully made tailor a rec take only species so that is probably the logical start point , followed by stricter quotas on the mullet fishery.
    realistically you are not going to get a highly profitable export market( mullet roe) shut down.
    rando

Pinhead

The figures are DPI&F's own figures from 'The East coast Fin Fish Submission' that was a study carried out by DPI&F researchers.
    They state that the bream nos, particularly from the ocean inshore fishery are way down with a reduction of 16% in commercial catches despite 40% increase in fishing intensity. And certainly here Pinhead there has been a very noticeable decline in bream nos since the mid 80's.
    Mullet stocks are in fact estimated to be at 60% of virgin levels but with a very worrying downward trend in egg production. DPI state that unless this is improved by 2006 then measures must be taken. Mullet catches have reduced by 3% since 1990 and in the same period there has been a 40% increase in fishing intensity for them with also improved efficiencies such as spotter planes and transportation. So the figures as to catch rates can be somewhat misleading.Tailor stocks are at 40% of virgin levels with an equally worrying trend of egg production. DPI state that unless there is a reversal here then measures on size limits and quotas will need to be emplaced.
    My point re the general public having access to fish product is that they are not getting it from the beach seine netters, but from the estuary and offshore fishery. So when the beach seine guys make the point of a service provided to the general public, then they are stretching the truth an awful long way.
    Also the point re the recreational sector taking a sizeable proportion of marine product has only some merit. It is only commercial netting of species that causes fish to spawn in areas that are not conducive to best results. This is the biggest impact of all. It is not the actual extraction of fish that causes population crashes (although it certainly doesn't help) but the inability for the fish to spawn effectively due to area abandonment caused by commercial netting.
    I have posted information under 'A good tailor season' by Masterdusky that I will attach here as well - it outlines exactly what the problems are and how we can improve the scenario for fish stocks, recreational fishing and maintain viability for the inshore commercial fishery.

And another one of relevence

First definition of "RAPE" (from Random House Dictionary) pp 1191
    Rape 1. The act of seizing and carrying off by force
    Nothing to do with having aggressive sex with our finny friends

All I am advocating for is a SUSTAINABLE harvest of the ocean resources. How you figure that netting tonnes of mullet, which is a staple of the food pyramid, while in roe makes sense and is sustainable? Just because people ignore the facts doesn't mean the facts don't exist. Keep up the unsustainable fishing practices and this forum will be renamed AusKnitting or AusHairPlaiting because it won't be worthwhile launching the boat and discussing the lack of success in our offshore trips...flatstrap

It's better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not. Andre Gide

First definition of "RAPE" (from Random House Dictionary) pp 1191
    Rape 1. The act of seizing and carrying off by force
    Nothing to do with having aggressive sex with our finny friends

All I am advocating for is a SUSTAINABLE harvest of the ocean resources. How you figure that netting tonnes of mullet, which is a staple of the food pyramid, while in roe makes sense and is sustainable? Just because people ignore the facts doesn't mean the facts don't exist. Keep up the unsustainable fishing practices and this forum will be renamed AusKnitting or AusHairPlaiting because it won't be worthwhile launching the boat and discussing the lack of success in our offshore trips...flatstrap

It's better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you're not. Andre Gide

THe more humans that spread across this planet the more
    we are going to take.THE problem is simple,there are 6 billion people
    on this planet and we need to half our selfs,and if we dont,.. the whole
    sistem will collapes.The human is no longer a species, we are a virus!
    As for the people that are hard on greenies Iam one! and if it wasnt
    for us, alot more today would be allready gone.

P/SOver breading ourselfs is the problem.
    And thats it in a nutshell!

signed tunaman

As in all problem solving scenarios, if we strip away the misinformation, half truths and red herrings, we come down to the basic problem and its simple solution.

Simple arithmetic. IF you take more than can be replaced, you will eventually end up with NOTHING. This simple rule is universal. If you chop down trees faster than you can grow them, you end up with cleared land. If you slaughter your breeding cows while in calf, (dubious farming practice) you will end up with cleared land and no income.

Personally, if you spend more than you earn, first you have to borrow, borrow more, then default, you end up with nothing...flatstrap

'Fear not those that argue but those who dodge.' Marie Ebner von Eschenbach 1905

Very funny!
    What miss information!
    The point i made is the bullet, isnt it funny how we humans often act like ostriches and bury our heads in the sand.
    Specially the old ones.
    P/S pinhead also had and excellent point. #

And since my boats name is red herring your comments were just coincidental? #Flatstrap i can smell your close by, and everyone is entitaled to there opinion. #I see your fast wit still serves you well.
    Tunaman sends his best wishes to you and the problem is a lot bigger then saving a few mullet.
    extinction does mean forever and we humans are soley to blame.

signed tunaman

I was at Morgans the other day when they were "cutting" mullet. Firstly they tumble them to descale, next cut behind head and along the gut. A quick snap and head comes clear, then roe and onion is harvested. Fillet gets knocked off and then its all done. I did ask and apparently the onion and roe goes os the fillet is sold for human consumption here and the frames ang heads go to the pro crabbers. I didn't see much in the way of waste. I should have snuck some roe to make bream baits while I was there though.

TunaMan;
    Hey dude,
    I wasn't referring to your post in respect of misinformation. More specifically, it was pointed at people that reason that if it was done this way (harvesting mullet while spawning) for yonks, so there's not a problem. You and I and Pinhead are on the same page and saying the same things; i.e., If you take more that can be replaced, you'll end up with nothing. We're not in conflict there, are we?
    Re: Red Herring.. What a blast! I didn't even know you owned a boat! I'm not so sure about the smell you're referring to. I use Hugo Boss after shave regularly...so...

BTW Ostriches do NOT bury their heads in the sand. This was an observation Europeans made of Ostriches when they first observed them feeding for the first time. They feed close to the ground and in the heat haze, the heads disappear from view. Just a bit of trivia.

Getting old is inevitable. The only way to stay young, is to die young. No other option...

No offense taken...flatstrap

"you should see them net the guts out of the mullet on bribie they come from nsw, as well as locals, they live on the beach for the mullet season no toilets, no rubbish bins. they just net the guts out of the place 24 hours a day till there,s nothing left"
    yeah yeah... should see the QLD netters working in NSW waters at present.. shit is shit, doesn't matter the colour

Flatstrap please forgive me!
    I tend to get touchy on enviromental maters,but you did get me thinking,
    on how the hell did you know my boat.
    Its all good, paranoia is sometimes a good thing , keeps you on your toes
    and since I turn 40 soon I must be showing the first signs of old age.
    And the smell thing, I thought you were local and have seen me around befour.
    I didnt know that about ostriches, I am now better imformmed.
    All the best to you flatstap and allways enjoy reading your postes.

P/S I might go and see a Doctor today for my mental condition.

signed tunaman

Just had some info passed on to me that the netters are worried that they can't find any mullet this year and that DPI have stated that they will be reviewing mullet stocks this year. With a particularly bad season last year and a worse one this year, I'd say they have every reason to be worried. But what worries me is that we may just have a mullet crisis on our hands and everything that Flatstrap has been saying is coming to fruition NOW!! I have been watching every day since the beginning of May and the biggest school I've seen so far has had about 30 fish in it.
    At least with hardly any netting we can still find a few fish ourselves - see saltwater reports shortly.