Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I HATE SOFT PLASTICS!!!!!!

I HATE SOFT PLASTICS!!!!!!

> Fast retrieve, medium retrieve, slow retrieve, ultra slow retrieve, no retrieve. Flick the rod tip, once , twice, three times or not at all, sometimes a little, sometimes alot. Cast under, beside, on and in to structure enough to be getting sick of snags. Change location, change tides, change times, change plastics and now I'm just thinkling about changing my mind. It shouldn't be this hard!!!!

Re: I HATE SOFT PLASTICS!!!!!!

Gday Shayne.
    Long time no speak.
    Come along to our BBQ on Sunday.
    Troy and Ando have been reaping the harvest of bream and flatties in the BR with SP's..
    Maybe they can givey you some tips./
    There is a prize for the biggest bream caught as well at the BBQ.
    Details on my site.
    Cheers.
    Angus.

I could argue with you till i'm black & blue in the face on how good they are but this won't help your cause of catching fish on them..

Hopefully this will..

Target a spot where you have caught fish on bait for years..

Be patience..

Take note after you cast as fish will strike on 'the drop' & watch your line on the retieve for 'line bites'

& can i ask..

What type of rod & reel setup have you got?

What type of line are using??

How heavy is your leader??

What type of SP's(Brand/Colour/Size) are you using?

How heavy is your Jighead??

Ang-Depending on home front commitments I'll try get there for a while and catch up.

The Saint- Small shimano spinning reel
    6ft 6" medium action ugly stick 2-4kg
    3kg mono direct to the plastic using a blood Knot(?)
    1/8 oz jig head berkley
    3" shad pumpkin seed, smelt, water melon
    3" grub pumpkin seed, smelt, water melon
    All berkley plastics

This is only from memory as I'm not near my gear at the moment but its pretty close to right.
    Dont get me wrong I'm in love with the idea of the plastics, it's the reality thats really giving me the tom tits. I've got heavier jig heads there for flathead, this is what I was using hoping for bream.
    Regards,
    Shayne

I agree with you. I tried 'em and gave 'em away. I fish regularly with a mate who uses them pretty exclusively and there's next to no difference in our results on jacks, cod , barra , bream etc. Hookup rate on Barra in particular is very ordinary I reckon. They catch fish - no doubt, but very over-rated I reckon.

casting a lure is alot more fun than soaking a bait.

Shayned, I reckon 1/8 oz is too heavy for 3" plastics, unless you are in deep or fast flowing water. I use 1/12 to 1/16 for that size plastic. Slower drop, more natural presentation.

Can you go out with someone who does have success with SPs? You will learn alot faster from watching someone who knows what they are doing than by reading about it.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Gday again Shayne.
    Regarding have a flick with Troy and Mat, they took my for my first SP session.
    I got two moses perch in about 2hours. Which for my first timei was rapt.
    So they def have some knowledge to impart.
    Since then,when not sharking im an SP convert.

Angus.

Craigus

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy
    casting a lure is alot more fun than soaking a bait.
    Got to agree there

I also agree to the fact that you should try using some lighter jigheads. I mainly use 1/16th - 1/24th oz and have a better success rate with the lighter jigheads.

Craig

I hate them also...I have caught one undersize bream on the bloody things...have even had a day with Tim Morgan (I am sure he has a diver under there to put the fish on..LOL)...got me beat how to catch anything on them..will stick with the bait for me thanks.

Shayne

Get rid of the mono mate and use lighter jig heads the plastic needs to fall through the strike zone slowly and you need to be in contact with the jig head.

Do you want to fish Webbys river to mud comp with me, plastics only!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Ian,
    I appreciate the offer and I'll take you up on it but the way I'm going on the bl**dy things I think the most likely outcome will be you learning a few more variations on curse words not in general use and a pile of unused placcys added to your tackle box, if you can stop me hurling them out into the wide blue yonder, that is.

If I get braid, do I have to learn how to tie a bimini twist? I've always prided myself on being willing to learn new things but that knot just looks like a bloody nightmare. Learning to knit a sweater would have to be easier.

Again thanks and I'll PM you to work it out. Worse case senario I can pack camera gear and at least photograph some fish.

No need for a bimini twist in braid that light. I just hope the wind isn't blowing its ring out this time nothing kills a good plastics session like wind.

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Ian, they have to be caught on rod and reel, not penguin outfits
    Seems as if there's some ganging up going on behind the scenes
    regards

Pritch39

Hi Shayned,

I got pretty exited over soft plastics a few months back, &did quite well for a while mainly flathead, but a few other species like a trevally, small taylor and now a few bream.But of late i cant seem to win a trick with SPs , some very small bream if im lucky.

although Im in a slump i realy enjoy fishing with them & theres nothing better than sqaushing the snears & funny looks on peoples faces when you start pulling in good fish right next to someone fishing on bait.

I guess for me I dont have a preference as I still catch some quality bream on baits , but have broadend my species by using plastics , & was talking to a nice bloke in a set of waders down at the mouth of Cabbage Tree creek yesterday who absolutely loves fishing for flathead with hardbodies around the rocks down there, so I might give them a try just for change.

Mate give me a call I will PM you with my Mobile and we can terrorise the Pine together & maybe between the pair of us we can catch some decent fish.

PS: I hope you do well out with Ian, it would be great to spend time with someone who has had heaps of success with SPs.

Cheers Pritch

honestly who wants to catch bream anyway?? they fight like crap taste like crap and look boring. id rater a squire anyday and the way they are around at the moment u can get them landbased as well. i have caught a number of bream on plastics when i first fished with them and then thought to myself at how boring it is. give me a squire, jewie or even a flattie on plastics anyday.

cheers matt