Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ballina jew

Re: ballina jew

Maybe you should spell that town Cassino

Meet and greet Post in going fishing section..
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB...m=1152145661/0

Steve_Monckton

I was hoping to take it easy with my light gear which consists of a Berkley 7' dropshot rod rated at 6-12kg and an okuma abf20 reel loaded with 4.5kg braid and a 130mm S.P and came up with this as the rods maiden fish. The fish went 20.5kg whole and 18.2kg cleaned and took 80 minutes to land and this was a land based capture , so I didn't have the privilege of being able to chase it around with a boat. Almost spooled several times but kept it all together and didn't break anything. Might have to get the bass gear out to try next. Pretty happy with the outcome

Gorilla_in_Manila

Pretty Happy ....... I'd be doing backflips.
    Top stuff. 80 minutes!

River or ocean?
    What time / tide?
    If you don't mind me asking.

Cheers
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi
    I was hoping to take it easy with my light gear which consists of a Berkley 7' dropshot rod rated at 6-12kg and an okuma abf20 reel loaded with 4.5kg braid and a 130mm S.P and came up with this as the rods maiden fish. The fish went 20.5kg whole and 18.2kg cleaned and took 80 minutes to land and this was a land based #capture , so I didn't have the privilege of being able to chase it around with a boat. Almost spooled several times but kept it all together and didn't break anything. Might have to get the bass gear out to try next. Pretty happy with the outcome
    Ok Rabbi thats it you and i are gunna have to meetup!!!!!!!
    I did actually manage to hook a jew (well i think so anyway lol) the other day just inside mobs bay on 2 " inch Gulp aswell ....Thought i had the bugga under control than he went and wrapped me around the end of the wall.
    Anyways Rabbi if your happy to show me the ropes it would be much appreciated, You coming to the Meet and greet on Sunday?? PM me if you want the details.

Steve_Monckton

G'day Gorilla and Archer. Got this fish at the crack of dawn this morning which was after high tide and I had the place all to myself. I won't say too much about where I caught it but I did get a little sand on my feet and there were mullet there. I had another couple of casts after I caught this one and hooked up again but it only went 30-40 metres before pulling the hook( maybe the rod was too much stick for it.lol) but anyway I am having the last laugh about using my so called kiddy gear. Unfortunately I work for a government dept. doing shift work and work funny hours inc. weekends, which my 12yo son does not go much on and creates a few drama's with the RSL fishing club and throws a spanner in the works with the M & G, but maybe I know you Archer?? will try and meet up one day. jew are a bit like that, they let you think you have em and when you are least expecting anything they do you. I gave away some info in this section under lures for jew previously. have a look. work time for me, cheers, steve.

Cheers Steve yea i have read thru this thread its been very helpful for sure. I have atleast hooked a Jew on SP's now...... just got to get one into the boat.
    We may have bumped into each other down in Ballina once before your face is vaugley familar.
    Anyways i work for myself so have "fairly" flexible hours if your ever looking for someone to have a fish with send us a PM always keen to learn as much as i can.

Joe

Gorilla_in_Manila

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi
    I won't say too much about where I caught it
    Hah ha. Wouldn't expect you to say too much. You'd be breaking the golden rule of being a jew fisherman if you did.

Anyway, was just interested in time and tides and how they applied to river V's sea. Won't be moving back to aus till late this year, so I won't be cutting in on anyone's spot X.
    (until next year's season)

Thanks for the info and congrats on the fish.

Cheers
    Jeff

PS just went back and read through the info you put up on the lure thread. Great stuff. Not sure how I missed this before.
    Nuggets predictions calender and the dates of the captures have provided some interesting insights.

Hell fish on the kiddie gear Steve, you GOTTA be happy with that one.

Whats next?? Sambos with Tom on the same???

Muzz

Steve_Monckton

G'day muzza, I might have to go to the longcast spool for sambo's and strap a broom handle to the rod but thats an idea. I have not been outside for a while now thanks to work commitments but I'm still getting my adrenalin shot while the jew are here. It was touch and go with the small gear but hell fun, the worst part was trying to set the hook without snapping something. I think I was just lucky this time but thats the all part of the fun.cheers