Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anchoring system ( solution with pics )#

Anchoring system ( solution with pics )#

I would like some ideas on how to make a break-away anchoring system.

I want to anchor in a particular spot but there seems to be a good chance of leaving the anchor on the bottom, should I do so. # # # # #

Was thinking of using a Besser block tied with a loop, so that I could leave the block on the bottom and retrieve my rope or cord.

All thoughts and diagrams , welcome !

Cheers #Phill

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Anchoring system #

Depending on how deep the water is you could use the besser block and an endless line. When you wish to leave just let off one end of the line and pull it thru the block. Maybe attach some kind of ring so the line doesn't chafe.
    rgds

simple Phill...boat on the surface...rope down to Navara on the bottom...now why didn't you think of that????

G'day
    Maybe one of those mooloolaba picks would be the go? There was a thread about them in the boating section a week or 2 ago.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

yes u could do this 500 times in that one spot then when there are 500 besser blocks down there give me the mark for it

Commodore

Depends on the depth, I would think most cases a normal reef anchor with no chain?? Prongs would straighten easily on a bad snag.
    Chong
    and im with daz, after the 500th block i'm coming too

Re: Anchoring system  

Attach your chain to the head of the anchor, then wire it to the normal connection point with a bit of light tie wire.

It will hold in most conditions, but when you give it a good pull, as in a snag, the wire should break, allowing you to pull the anchor off by the head. (I suggest doing this on a second anchor, coz when the donks dead and you 50 feet from a reef, having the wire break and release the anchor might make you say "oh bugger")

Thanks so far. To enlighten you further, I am anchoring over a wreck. And when the locals dive this wreck, they bring up many anchors, usually reef picks as the surrounding area is sand.

So the problem is, dragging the anchor and having the wreck, itself, snag the anchor rope and anchor. Trying to avoid this by anchoring well away from said wreck and drifting the bait back to said wreck to fill said esky with said red fish from said wreck !!!! if ya know what I mean

I have been drift fishing this wreck with success, but want to target different fish, and that requires me to anchor.

Greg, maybe I should just drive the Nissan to the wreck, and spear the fish I want. I know, ' don't turn the motor off as water will run up the exhaust pipe ! ".

Phill

Phill buy a small Plough mate and anchor up front on the sand. It's not gonna drag and trip it with a few zip ties incase you find some hard bottom. I have a basic sand pick with a bar welded from one end to the other so the chain slips to back of the anchor when i drive forward and pulls it out backwards. #I do prefer the plough idea and will be looking at using one at all times soon on any bottom.

Cheers Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Commodore

Phil,
    what’s the depth??
    and the gps coordinates kidding
    hey Greg that sounds like a bloody good idea with the bar
    Cheers,
    Chong

Quote Originally Posted by Chong
    *snip*
    hey Greg that sounds like a bloody good idea with the bar
    Cheers,
    Chong
    The bar idea does sound good. I just saw something like that called a slip ring anchor in the new Bias boating catalogue.(plenty of pics on the net - but couldn't find a really good pic to post.) Instead of that arrangement on the pick, it has something like the bar on a standard sand anchor with a ring that slips from one end to the other.#Looks like a great solution to the littering of the bottom with zip ties. #

Greg #I'd bet that this arrangement with a sand anchor would be easier to disengage from reef than a plough even with the reverse pinning/zip tied arrangement on the plough. Might not be Phills solution though if he's getting chain and rope caught on a wreck

Tony

Phil

I thought that might have been the situation! Reefmaster is spot on ! Go the plough anchor and anchor 50m away and fall back over the wreck. The first few times you'll probably have to do a couple of times to get it spot on but once you master it you a a skill for life.

Ps

i can give you the red beenie boys mobile ph no if you need it ! I believe their in the anchor business

PPs. you lucky your wrecks are pretty shallow you should try and anchor over a wreck in 120m, it can take a hour to get right. still the rewards are there.
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

all good info ferets !!

OK, I have the guff from a local.

seems there is rubble in the surrounding area as well.

He anchors at this spot everytime and has never lost an anchor and he drives a 21ft cruisey.

His system is a reef pick, BUT, a hose clamp placed about 2/3rds the way up the prongs from the bar. Tightened and the prongs bent from there and at a sharp as possible angle. So it appears that the prongs are like little fingers. He uses a 4mtr length of heavy chain and throws out a length of rope equal to 3 to 1 ( that is, in 30mtrs of water he lets out 90mtrs of rope ) This method has held the big cruisey in 15 - 20knots winds in that area. He also employs an anchor float ( ball ) for retrievel. Don't know if this is an overkill for a cork-like 4.1mtr tinnie. But I am willing to go with what a local has been using and hope like hell he's not pulling my leg or he has shares in the rope company ??

Found all sorts of prices for rope...100mtrs x 10mm from $60 - $80 from various stores. Add in the reef pick, shackles, float and ring and of course a box to house the gear in and it'll round out to getting small change out of $150. The Besser block with some Telecom rope = $ 00.

Decisions.....decisions.

Greg ( reefie ), I have also found out that there is " other stuff " around the area of the wreck that can place a plough anchor in jeopardy.

Ian,

I am sure the Red Beanie Boys are making a killing in recycled anchors from this spot ! Further to that, I reckon I might add a metal name tag to the anchor with my mob number and a small reward for it's return ? What do ya think ?

Cheers Phill

Phill
    You would be surprised the type of ground a plough anchor is used on by so many pros and others. They still use ploughs while anchoring on 10-15 mtr pinnacles. As long as you can pull the bugger out backwards there won't be an issue.

Knowing wrecks usually are in areas of a sandy or shale bottom i can't see how a reef pick will hold unless there is some decent structure the pick is bitting into too. It can be risky to use a reef pick on such an area only to find it does not hold and you end up hooking the wreck and loosing your gear.

Knowing that your boat is of a small size and that you probally only fish during good conditions would mean that a reef pick may actually be ok and just the weight of the anchor and chain will hold you on the desired area.

Regards,
    Greg

www.wickedfishing.com.au The place for wicked fish pics, articles and DVD's. Your ultimate reef fishing DVD "Double Island Point & Beyond" on sale now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reefmaster
    Phill buy a small Plough mate and anchor up front on the sand. It's not gonna drag and trip it with a few zip ties incase you find some hard bottom. I have a basic sand pick with a bar welded from one end to the other so the chain slips to back of the anchor when i drive forward and pulls it out backwards. #I do prefer the plough idea and will be looking at using one at all times soon on any bottom.

Cheers Greg
    I bought an old tinnie from an old salt years ago and it had a sand pick that worked similar to what you have described except this was obviously mass produced. It's main frame was made out of a heavy 10mm gal steel shaped sorta like a big paper-clip joined at both ends, it was attached to the chain with a ring that slid up and down, which I found to be a pain in the butt when you were trying to throw the pick. I never even thought about it being designed for that reason......
    ........................well there you go...........BILLY