Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Anchoring system ( solution with pics )#

Re: Anchoring system ( solution with pics )#

Get a mooloolaba pick, d-shackle the chain to the anchoring end of the anchor, and tie the chain to the shaft with some 3 strand twine (the rope most people use on their crabpots) and if it gets stuck when you want to leave the twine snaps and the anchor comes out the way it went in to the snag.

Re: Anchoring system #

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time
    Phil

I thought that might have been the situation! #Reefmaster is spot on ! Go the plough anchor and anchor 50m away and fall back over the wreck. The first few times you'll probably have to do a couple of times to get it spot on but once you master it you a a skill for life.

Ps

i can give you the red beenie boys mobile ph no if you need it ! I believe their in the anchor business

PPs. you lucky your wrecks are pretty shallow you should try and anchor over a wreck in 120m, it can take a hour to get right. still the rewards are there.

Very informative Ian
    I was most impressed with your demonstration of your technique from my boat at wide bay that weekend last year. We had no risk of the anchor pulling and we were able to fish right on top of the reef/wreck?
    Now I know you said you would be up there within a week or two to recover my anchor and my 12 mm nylon rope but I understand you have been busy and having trouble "finding time"

It was too good to resist Ian. # Surely it crossed your mind when you were typing this.

Dear Mister Bomber

Please read technique again!!!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Ian,
    I am pleased to have contributed to your vast experience and allowed you to hone your spectacular skills to be able to assist our fellow Ausfishers

Your just so FLASH Bomber( AKA The sly Sledger) i thought that Anchors were a disposable item on your boat!!! Strickly one use only!!

Ian

No wonder you have no time! You are always sharing your vast wisdom on this site.

Now let us not forget who has more disposable fishing equipment than all the Ausfishers in Queensland. You have so much gear you throw it overboard at the Pincushion Bar while you have a bath. How many rods do you (and supposedly all your relatives who just keep it at your house ) have anyway?

Hi JD if you're enjoying this!

Quote Originally Posted by the_bomber
    Now let us not forget who has more disposable fishing equipment than all the Ausfishers in Queensland. You have so much gear you throw it overboard at the Pincushion Bar while you have a bath. How many rods do you (and supposedly all your relatives who just keep it at your house )

Hi JD if you're enjoying this!
    I'm not just relatives that keep gear at my house!!!

Ian

Ps. JD wont return my calls why would he read my posts

Hope my artistic effort this time is better appreciated than the hand drawing I did last time. #

Anyway this is how our system works. #3 things the Ezy Lift does for you over a ring or Anka Yanka. #It gives you more room out the front of the boat if a fish runs that way, acts as a shock absorber pulling the buoy through each wave face and once the anchor is set and the buoy clipped on, by going back and forward along your anchor rope using granny glasses clove hitches you can get yourself precisely in the right spot. #Yes you can do it with the other methods but the main advantage here is you use your fixed buoy like a marker buoy and judge how far back you need to be then clip on. #Over some wrecks we have probably had 50-100m of rope out from the buoy back to the clip to get ourselves in the right spot. #You really need to go up a long way with wrecks in case you drag and to give yourself a bit of leeway. #You can move yourself left and right by spinning the outboard left and right depending on the current and wind. #You hardly ever get it right the first time. #That being the case you need a system that is easy to retrieve as you are less likely to reanchor without one. #Expect to reanchor ever tide change or wind change. #Other tips are to do a drift first to get drift line on your GPS, if you like working in track up on your plotter go to North up once you have got there or had your first drift and use your compass more to work out your hang. #If you have missed it in North up you should be able to work out where you need to drop the anchor the next time and where you need to hang to find the fish. #Remember they sometimes sit up current or down current of the spot you are aiming for. #At night a compass is even more invaluable. #It reacts miles quicker than a GPS and should keep you out of those wandery circles. #

That Haines Signature 702 of yours sure looks differant from most i've seen Rob

Re: Anchoring system ( solution with pics )

Your a true artist smithy! well done.
    Tony- tell your mate not to use an inflatable float with a reef pick, they tend to puncture them quite regularly ...foxy

Cheers Foxy
    Good advise mate, never thought of that myself!!
    Will let him know!!

Regards, Tony

Attach your chain to the front of the anchor and use an electrical tie to tie the chain to the back of the anchor, if you get hung up you just motor forward, the electrical tie breaks and you pull your anchor up backwards (sketch attached), it works 100% of the time

Good Luck

Dave